• No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
WOW!!! where's the help and traffic to this site

What has happened to this site???!!! There is hardly anyone that's around anymore to help with anything other than the simple requests! :confused::eek::(:(:(:(:(

nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
They started to kill of HWC a few years back when they originally took away the general chat section. A lot of people left because of that. Once they actually reinstated it, it was too late.

Ratt

Ratt

Yeah.

Almost ten years ago, to this month.
Off topic forum???? Gone???

So any good proposals for bringing all the old members back? The person responsible for the closure is long gone.... I say just bury the hatchet and start posting again.

I miss reading Outlaw69 posts even after all these years....

Justintime

Justintime

To this day i've got mixed emotions about egrevstad's decision to close the forum (and about egrevstad himself), i believe thats what started the general decline and flight. Christ, i've been here over 10yrs.. lots of fond memories too :)

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Despite HWC having been in apparent terminal decline for a number of years now, it's funny how many of us are obviously still lurking, and do chime in when there's something worth commenting on.

I was a bit too late (Feb 03) to see the OT forum in its original incarnation - was it a really as out-of-hand as the above thread suggests?

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
Looks like the OT forum died early 2001... And I kind of remember it being pretty wild.

Another sister site lost their OT forum around the same time and has since rebounded... A different sister site killed off most of the OT members and is equally slow as HWC;)

But as the early part of this thread pointed out, there are many reasons why sites in general have slowed down.

nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
I don't think the off-topic forums were that badly out of control. It's either have fun and get a lot of visitors or be stuffy and get hardly any. They opted for the latter.

Maybe we need to start some good vs threads and some actual chat about products. The worst part is that I believe that everyone concedes the fact that Intel do have better performance that AMD but AMD still has the best bang for the buck

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
Do you have any suggestions for getting the OT posters to also post in the tech forums;)

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
The worst part is that I believe that everyone concedes the fact that Intel do have better performance that AMD but AMD still has the best bang for the buck
That was certainly the reason for the death of the CPU forum, IMO. There used to be some great debates in there by TOTT (ThreeOnTheTree), Hoyle, Ol'Man, etc. Most of it went way over my head but it was interesting nonetheless.

So any good proposals for bringing all the old members back?
TBH I think it's pretty unlikely that we'd tempt back many people who left nearly a decade ago. Even without all the OT stuff, people move on and find other places to talk.

I guess the best chance for HWC is to somehow tempt more new members on board and keep them interested - the problem these days seem to be that most people who sign up don't stick around when they see how quiet the forums are.

HWC brands itself as "Your source for in-depth computer hardware info", but maybe this is where it's fallen behind some other sites.

Take a look at Toms Hardware for instance - they have a plethora of reviews and benchmarks for CPU's and GPU's, which are updated every few months. That kind of content is popular and draws people to the site, so they then use the forums too.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
Yes it is.... it only seems like its the old crew is here. An occasional newb might comeby for a quickie but they don't stay, and might not even reply back to the suggestions that were offered, as they may have found help quicker elsewhere.

where is that elsewhere.....??

Ratt

Ratt

I was a bit too late (Feb 03) to see the OT forum in its original incarnation - was it a really as out-of-hand as the above thread suggests?
Nah... It wasn't wild at all. It was pretty quiet for a week or so after a few heated arguments and debates among the regulars at the ot forum. What happened after that is wdeep started started spamming 2 pages of worth threads at the OffTopic forum because it is in his opinion that the the place was boring.

I logged off expecting to see the guy banned. After going away for a few days, lo and behold the Offtopic forum was forever gone. I almost fell out of my chair. (metaphorically speaking of course) ;)

It used to be a nice place to chat about and talk about anything with members from around the world. Need to fix anything, need advice etc there are always helpful members around. Instead of nurturing and guiding the Otforum to be useful and a nice place to hang around, the former admin choose to kill it. :rolleyes:

Maybe we need to start some good vs threads and some actual chat about products. The worst part is that I believe that everyone concedes the fact that Intel do have better performance that AMD but AMD still has the best bang for the buck
Well, We can always talk about AMD vs Nvidia... ;) but we are both using Nvidia.

Do you have any suggestions for getting the OT posters to also post in the tech forums ;)
This is a chicken and egg situation. It's almost a decade already without any improvement. Expecting an improvement without changes is an exercise in futility and I'm not talking about Obama. Just bring it back as it was before including post counts in Ot. What does the current admin here have to loose? Need to break a few eggs to make an omelet. ;)

TBH I think it's pretty unlikely that we'd tempt back many people who left nearly a decade ago. Even without all the OT stuff, people move on and find other places to talk.

I guess the best chance for HWC is to somehow tempt more new members on board and keep them interested - the problem these days seem to be that most people who sign up don't stick around when they see how quiet the forums are.
Yeah, I know. People change, some get married, some grow up and move on, new responsibilities etc. Would be nice to hear from them once in a while, but who would post in an empty lifeless forum anyway?

HWC brands itself as "Your source for in-depth computer hardware info", but maybe this is where it's fallen behind some other sites.
It's highly exaggerated IMO. Haven't read the main page in years. :D

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
Ratt - you do know that we've had an OT forum for the last five years or more don't you;)

Ratt

Ratt

No we don't. What we've had before was called Off Topic Forum not Central Lounge. The difference? Posts in Central Lounge do not count toward the HWC post total. Posts in the previous Offtopic Forum does. Clearly that does not make it the same.

Why bother posting and contributing something positive if it does not make it into the post total?

After 10 years, it's time for a change... ;) or if you prefer, to evolve in order not to become extinct.

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
So somebody that posts hundreds of posts worth of dribble in an OT forum...They should get their post count increased? What does that mean or indicate? And who looks at post counts and for what reason.

You joined here six months before I did but have a lot less posts? To me that means nothing except one of has more free time then the other:eek:

Some sites don't allow people into the OT fourm untill they've posted a few hundred times in the Tech forum section... Their reward is being allowed access;)

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
So somebody that posts hundreds of posts worth of dribble in an OT forum...They should get their post count increased? What does that mean or indicate? And who looks at post counts and for what reason.
How do you think my post count got high? ;) :D I remember back in 2000 in the original OT forum (mostly), I had 1,000 posts in a month. :eek:

Ratt

Ratt

So somebody that posts hundreds of posts worth of dribble in an OT forum...They should get their post count increased? What does that mean or indicate? And who looks at post counts and for what reason.)
:confused: Come on. Let's not be too cynical here. Just how would you know that if the OT forum were to reinstate post counts right now, there will be hundreds of post of dribble in HWC in let's say a week?

A little less cynical and a bit more positive would be nice.

As it is, there's only an average of 3 members logged in simultaneously every day. Most of the time its the moderators. LOL!

You joined here six months before I did but have a lot less posts? To me that means nothing except one of has more free time then the other :eek:
Well, I don't really care much for post counts too and I could have matched Huge's or Toolbox's post counts, but that's your opinion and mine. If post counts really matter to me, I wouldn't be in HWC today.

Some sites don't allow people into the OT fourm untill they've posted a few hundred times in the Tech forum section... Their reward is being allowed access ;)
I don't care about what other sites do or don't allow in their forums. Sure, I am a member of some other forum with roughly 3000 members logged in simultaneously every day and yes many of the sub forums that I participate are not counted into the total posts. Why compare an elephant to a flea?

In summary, after 10 years there is still little activity here and in fact HWC is losing steam. Sure anyone can give reasons and excuses for the decline. But why are there thriving forum communities out there surviving and why can't HWC be one of them? And if I were the Big Boss of Internet.com, I expect results and if this is what they have to show after 10 years, there's gonna be a lot of answering to do......

At the end of the day it's not my job that's at stake.

I'm merely suggesting some changes to the forum that I strongly believe will bring positive changes in the future. Whether the current admin chooses to do so or not it is the admin's prerogative and I will respect that. Full Ahead or Full Astern the Ratt will tag along for the ride. :cool:

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
Ratt...

what are some of these very active website that u frequent?? I'd like to check them out, especially if they offer Terminal Server networking help... as I have difficulties with that platform, considering I'm not an IT person, but a small biz guy running my little company, I need to save cash and do my own networking.

Associates