• No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Is Hardware Central dying?

It just seems to be a ghost town with topics and replies over the past year.
Whats your opinion?

Cheers, Matt

D

digitaldog

Still here!
I don't think HWC will ever 'die', old members seem to be coming by more these days but times have certainly changed throughout the web since I joined up however I still find this place has the best answers to my questions so that is why I always come back...and some good memories too ;)

Dragonlead

Dragonlead

totally agreed
cheers.....

I don't think HWC will ever 'die', old members seem to be coming by more these days but times have certainly changed throughout the web since I joined up however I still find this place has the best answers to my questions so that is why I always come back...and some good memories too ;)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
as I've said before, forums themselves are not as popular as they were. They have been supplanted by social networking sites, at least for a portion of their function. At one time forums such as this, in addition to answering technical questions, served as a social outlet. That's not as true as it once was.

P

Perce

The 1/3 page of Advertising Spam doesn't help, as for myself I am getting tired of seeing it get larger, and frankly it is annoying. LOL We still come up with some great answers for people's problems, but something has to be done about all of this advertising junk. :)

P

Perce

A thought came to me, with all the "Junk Websites", the 50 million or so, "Auto-Updates", Spyware and people turning their Computer into a Stereo, TV, Movie Theatre, Cell Phone, PDA, etc..,, they just don't have enough Memory, CPU, or Network bandwidth to connect to Hardware Central!!!! :)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
The 1/3 page of Advertising Spam doesn't help, as for myself I am getting tired of seeing it get larger, and frankly it is annoying. LOL We still come up with some great answers for people's problems, but something has to be done about all of this advertising junk. :)
all we can do is take down the forum, because that's what supports it. Also, it has not gotten larger. It's been the same size for the past four years.

edhe62

edhe62

I still return from time to time. It does seem like traffic has slowed, but I don't think it'll just die. If it did, where would our folding team go???

glussier

glussier

If it did, where would our folding team go???
I'd hate to have to restart the points from scratch. I think we could keep folding for HWC, even if the forum was to close.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
we have no plans to close it. Just think of this period as being equivalent to the middle to late 90s in the NHL. The game was at an all time low in popularity, but it survived.

Technoplume

Technoplume

I think it's a good sing that show the improvement of product quality out there in the industry. Also since a few years back, computer price drop down a lot and became really accessible to everyone that only need there facebook account. Those of us who like to build there system are just getting new part that have less compatibility issue. Also there is so much help needed whit software and security issue now that hardware seen to be put on the second line. Over all HWC is still the best forum I found out there.

T

tarez

The forums have been dying for years and its popularity peaked log ago.

Looks like I was last here on Dec 2007.....woot!

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Forums in general have lost popularity because of the advent of social networking sites. They fulfill what was once a part of the domain of forums, online social activity.

C

Cold__Steel

Well I'm glad it's still here after all these years. I used to use this site for a lot of pc help and boy did I need it, and I see the Abit KT7 is still a topic (seems a little old to me now).
btw.I still have my Abit KT7. still works on last boot up several years ago.

I haven't been here at this site since Novemeber 2004. Man it seems time flys on by.

Technoplume

Technoplume

Yeah, whit the corruption of google search whit mass selling site, forum are the last good place to search real information quickly. Long live HWC !

I mean in 1997 when I was searching a driver I did'nt have to go trough 100 pages of site trying to sell me a recent video card. Just to find the 1 site that had the driver. Or the same whit a problem, it seem today the only thing google can find fast is good deal, and malware definition.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Most of what I know about computers started here; the best place for help and advice with the friendliest people. Anandtech can be OK, but there are far too many condescending little snot nosed brats to flip **** for no real reason other than to be asses. It has slowed down so much here but it is still a great site. I actually ought to spend more time here helping and contributing because this place gave me my start. Maybe I will but it likely won't be today :)

krupted

krupted

the site needs a redesign imo. its been too long without any significant growth, so its not like people are going to just start jumping in now.

make the site easier to read by allowing it to extend all the way horizontally. that internet news stuff on the side is just awful.

and without regular product updates and news about whats going on in the tech world, youre relying on members to provide the content for the forums and it just wont work that way. look at the way hardocp does it, i mean there are countless reasons to hate that website but at least they know how to draw members in. they do hardware bench tests, product news is updated everyday in the forums and they have a definite theme (they claim to be the most hardcore tech site blah blah).

from what i see now with hardwarecentral is exactly the same as i saw a decade ago, and it simply never evolved with the times. if internet.com really wants to keep this forum alive, they need to hire one or two people to really push new threads containing useful content every single day. only then will the members start to join, as discussion about the new topics and research will be irresistible.

just my opinion!

Associates