internetnews.com feed article times

kaulbach

kaulbach

Mostly Harmless
Some of these feeds stay up for days at a time, but it always reports their posting time as the current time, and not as the time they originally came into existence. Nothing crucial, just annoying :)

kaulbach

kaulbach

Mostly Harmless
Similar, yes... though I'm not so concerned that the same items stay there for a long time not changing, but rather that the times reported underneath of the headline is reported as being the current time, sometimes prompting you to visit the link to see if there is a new development in the old article but of course there isn't. Ideally the original posting time should pass through so it doesn't always look like they were written or updated a few minutes ago.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I believe it's because there's no date in the feed, so the script that parses it just grabs the server's sysdate. I removed the date altogether.

M

MrPutney

Junior Member...Oh, Boy!
Hello Administrator,

I am a very new member of HWC. I like what i see so far. I do have one concern however. As i was signing up I was hoping to use a certain online name, and discovered it was already taken. This surprised me as the online name I wanted to use is quite unique. Or so I thought. I chose another, then went searching through the member database, which is quite extensive. Kudo's.

the issue I noticed is that there are so many members out there who joined as long ago as Sept. 1999 and pretty much haven't done anything. You can tell because it will show how many posts they have done since becoming a member. I see a lot of zero through 5 posts by such members. It is quite obvious that these are not active members at all. Here is what I propose can be done. It is up to you how you would like to proceed.

Have the SQL database, (or whatever database you use)send these members an email asking if they want to continue membership in HWC. If they do not reply back within two weeks, or if they reply back with "unsubscribe" in the subject line, then the management software can remove them from the database. This way it will free up the use of those online names for other potential members, and create a much more tight nit community here.

Just an idea. For what it is worth.

Thanks for Reading,
MrPutney

P.S. You could easily decide who the emails should go to by making a judgement call on how many posts they have done over a six or seven year period. If you only wanted the SQL Database to send out emails only to members who have zero posts, then that is all you would need to specify. I think it would work great, and make it much less time consuming than browsing the member directory , one page at a time.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, but that would actually adversely affect our business, but thanks for the suggestion all the same.

ups4

ups4

In reply to MrPutney....

Many members come here to learn about how a computer works and may not actually make a post.
I'm on these boards on a daily basis, reading posts about things I'm interested in, but as you can see since I joined in June of 2000, I have only made 292 posts. I will post when I feel I can be of some assistance to the post originator.

Come on in and help out whenever you can, but we don't really care what you call yourself. :)

Paul

Associates