internet cuts out

T

thunder1276

every so often my internet will randomly shut down. the only way to fix it is to restart my computer. it doesnt happen everyday but sometimes it will do it two times in a row. i have a gateway laptop connected to a wireless connection. its not the router because my roommate is on the same line and it never happens to his computer. does anybody have any solutions or ideas that might help?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Did you try changing channels on the router? Are there many WAPs in your area? Try to choose the least used channel (1, 6 or 11).

What is the make/model of the router?

the only way to fix it is to restart my computer
So repairing the Wifi connection doesn't work? What OS are you using?

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
Welcome to HWC:)

Does it happen while you're using it or after it has sat idle?

If while idle - you're network adaptor has a sleep function and it might not be waking up.

T

thunder1276

it happens when im using it and when its been idle. i am in an apartment complex so ya there are a bunch of wireless connections (im assuming this is what WAP means). if changing the channel would help wouldnt it also be affecting my room mates computer also? also what does changing the channel on the router do that might help?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
WAP = Wireless Access Point

Just because your roommate's PC is ok, that doesn't mean yours will be. It depends on environment and the wifi chipset on the client and router.

Changing the channel would help if there are a lot of clients on the same channel. It's like traffic on the highway. The more cars in the same lane, the worse traffic is going to be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Channels_and_international_compatibility

You probably want to brush up on the basics as well:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics

T

thunder1276

i probably should have mentioned that it also happens while im at my parents house. theres not many WAPs there so thats not the problem. but it does happen alot if the laptop becomes unplugged. its not being unplugged that causes it to happen but when i plug it back in it usually happens like 75% of the time. the battery is in so the computer doesnt shut down. i tried taking the battery out but that didnt help.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Did you update the wifi drivers?

it happens when im using it and when its been idle.
So it will suddenly drop connection and the wifi icon says "disconected"? Or does only your Internet connectivity drop?

T

thunder1276

anything connected to the internet stops working for a few seconds then the icon in the right corner goes from connected to disconnected and i have to restart my computer for it to start working again.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
the icon in the right corner goes from connected to disconnected
Ok, so the signal drops not just your Internet connection.

I'd try looking for update drivers or Wifi software (depending on what hardware you have). You can also try reseating the Wifi card and antenna cables.

Technoplume

Technoplume

i probably should have mentioned that it also happens while im at my parents house. theres not many WAPs there so thats not the problem. but it does happen alot if the laptop becomes unplugged. its not being unplugged that causes it to happen but when i plug it back in it usually happens like 75% of the time. the battery is in so the computer doesnt shut down. i tried taking the battery out but that didnt help.
do you mean power cable. If yes I suspect your laptop has on of those lan adapter that shut down when there not used to save battery power. You can turn that feature on and off in Bios or in the hardware tab of you Lan adapter.

If your talking about the LAN cable, then this is probably normal since the laptop DHCP server will get 1 IP for the wire and 1 IP for the WIFI. But will shut the WIFI down because LAN is faster. When you Unplug the LAN it will reactivate the WIFI and reconnect. Connecting both will make IP conflict if you don't set static IP for 1 of the 2 adapter. ( Well it's How I solved my laptop dual connection )

Other possible problem I see. You have to much distance and obstacle between the router and the laptop when using WIFI. The signal does get weaker when there are walls to cross and depending on there material. Or the router has directional antenna and limited range.

Associates