interent won't connect on Vista machine unless new XP netbook is on

S

slhayes

I recently got a netbook with XP on it and moved my Vista desktop down the basement. The only way I can get on to the Internet with the Vista machine now is to go upstairs and turn on the XP netbook. I am not on a wireless networking connection with these machines. I have another older XP netbook that is also connected upstairs, but am having no problems getting on that one with or without the new netbook turned on. I was able to just plug the machines in and get to the Internet, so I didn't worry about any potential problems. But, last night I did make sure that all three had the same workgroup name and each had a distinctive name. It worked last night I recently got a netbook with XP on it and moved my Vista desktop down the basement. The only way I can get on to the Internet with the Vista machine now is to go upstairs and turn on the XP netbook. I am not on a wireless networking connection with these machines. I have another older XP netbook that is also connected upstairs, but am having no problems getting on that one with or without the new netbook turned on. I was able to just plug the machines in and get to the Internet, so I didn't worry about any potential problems. But, last night I did make sure that all three had the same workgroup name I recently got a netbook with XP on it and moved my Vista desktop down the basement. The only way I can get on to the Internet with the Vista machine now is to go upstairs and turn on the XP netbook. I am not on a wireless networking connection with these machines. I have another older XP netbook that is also connected upstairs, but am having no problems getting on that one with or without the new netbook turned on. I was able to just plug the machines in and get to the Internet, so I didn't worry about any potential problems. But, last night I did make sure that all three had the same workgroup name and each had a distinctive name. It worked last night I recently got a netbook with XP on it and moved my Vista desktop down the basement. The only way I can get on to the Internet with the Vista machine now is to go upstairs and turn on the XP netbook. I am not on a wireless networking connection with these machines. I have another older XP netbook that is also connected upstairs, but am having no problems getting on that one with or without the new netbook turned on. I was able to just plug the machines in and get to the Internet, so I didn't worry about any potential problems. But, last night I did make sure that all three had the same workgroup name and each had a distinctive name. It worked last night when I turned off the new netbook, but when I came downstairs this morning and turned on the Vista machine without the netbook turned on, once again I couldn't connect until I went upstairs and turned on the netbook.

Prior to this there was no problem connecting any machine in the house to the Internet if there was any machine on or not.
and each had a distinctive name. It worked last night when I turned off the new netbook, but when I came downstairs this morning and turned on the Vista machine without the netbook turned on, once again I couldn't connect until I went upstairs and turned on the netbook.

Prior to this there was no problem connecting any machine in the house to the Internet if there was any machine on or not.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
how is the vista machine connected to the internet??? hard wired or wireless??? your description is confusing

S

slhayes

It is hard wired, not wireless. I meant to put this in but forgot. Also, my internet connection is cable not DSL.

S

slhayes

I am sorry about all the redundancy, in the post, I think it ended up with duplicate statements somehow or other. It may have been while I was on a treadmill when I decided to post it and I did not catch it. I didn't see how to edit this post so I just left it. Sorry.

S

slhayes

I took the netbook downstairs, but before I hooked it up I tried to see if the Vista desktop machine would come online or not. When I turned said desktop on, it came online with no problem. So I switched the ethernet cable from the desktop to the netbook and it came online with no problem down the basement. My thought was if once the netbook was returned upstairs and the problem returned, I was going to disconnect the ethernet cable as well as shut it down and see if the desktop down the basement would come online or not. But what happened is it isn't acting up now so I cannot test that theory. I will keep an eye on it and post back if I find anything new.

S

slhayes

This morning once again the Vista machine wouldn't connect to the internet with the netbook turned off upstairs. I went upstairs and disconnected the ethernet cable on the netbook, came downstairs and tried to reload the browser but it wouldn't come up so I restarted the machine and this time it all came up.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
i have no clue as to why this would occur, other than maybe a faulty network driver. try deleting the NIC card driver, reboot, the computer should reboot and install the NIC driver again.

does your Vista machine have a wireless card within the case???? maybe u have ur setting on the Vista machine to access the internet via the XP machine; check ur setting and make certain the Vista machine is set to connect to the internet DIRECTLY.

where is the Cable modem located??? is the CAT5 cable connected to ur Vista machine coming in from a router or directly out of the cable modem??

S

slhayes

It has been working fine the last few days, but I will hang on to this if the problem returns, thanks

Technoplume

Technoplume

Could u be more specific and tell us how your connecting all of those machine to the net. Router ? switch ? connection sharing whit multiple lan card ?.

S

slhayes

It's been working with no problems now. I may have had to restart the basement machine once but that is the only problem after it started to work again.

Associates