Installing Windows 7 on Dell Optiplex 760L (Display not showing correctly)

G

ggalv

I just installed Windows 7 on a Dell Optiplex 760L and the display is not shown correctly.

Windows 7 automatically installed "Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Display" and the only resolution available is 640x480.

I went to the Dell website and noticed that there were no drivers for Windows 7 for this computer.

Do you guys/girls have any suggestions on what I can do so that display is shown correctly on this dell computer with Windows 7? Really appreciate your help.

G

ggalv

I installed both CPUID CPU-Z and GPU-Z and both have "Standard VGA Graphic Adapter" for the the video card. CPUID CPU-Z did have 0x1028(0x0161) for the Board Manufacture.

Is there any other way to check the kind of video card I have and to see if I can updated the drivers for Windows 7?

Thanks

G

ggalv

I input the service tag number from the computer and it's actually an Optiplex 160L instead of a 760L. From what I see it only supports Windows XP (I attached the link). But it gave me the following list of video drivers: Intel 845 G/GL Integrated Video, Springdale G Integrated Video, Intel Grantsdale G Integrated Video, v.6.14.10.3762, A00

video drivers.jpg

Attached dell.jpg

G

ggalv

Thanks,

When I click on the link for the forum provided, that forum provides another link for drivers downloads, which takes me to a download of: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (exe)

Should I install that file, or do I need to look for my specific driver?

Thanks

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Intel 845 G/GL Integrated Video
That would be the driver. You have an Intel 845 chipset. Read through the full thread if you want more details. I usually go to the end first for the solution.

G

ggalv

I downloaded the file in the forum, and followed the directions and I get the following error message: "This Operating System is not supported, Setup will exist, OK"

Everything made sense in the directions provided but was a little confused with the following:
"After installing it go to the folder where it is located and right click then properties then compatibility then make sure you click the box to run as administrator then click change for all users........" I am assuming that they meant "After downloading it go to the folder..."

Noticed that that threat was for Windows 7 Pro 64bit, but mine is 32 bit. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Associates