In a bind with HD Tv

dman777

dman777

I have a HTPC. I watch all my movies from my PC hd to my Sony Trinitron Tv. All my movies are Standard Definition. I can't stand new movies so I have no use for Blue Ray or HD. But now I am at a delima. I am a gamer. I need a HD tv because the next gen consoles look like cr*p on a SD tv. I know that standard definition movies look bad on a HD tv. So what do I do?

Here are the suggestions that I am not open to, so please don't suggest these:
1) Play Xbox 360 on my computer monitor. I hate this idea. it defeats the purpose of a console. No thanks.
2). Upscale my SD movies. I have seen this and I am not exactly happy with the quality. Plus, the last I checked Nvidia's video card that does that costs a fortune and it requires directx 10. I'm not about ether.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

dman777 said:
I know that standard definition movies look bad on a HD tv. So what do I do?
Actually, I watch SD-DVDs on my HDTV all the time, and I find the picture quality to be very good. I don't have an upscaler on my DVD player either, it just uses a composite connection. HDTVs typically have DVI and VGA ports on them, so you can run your HTPC at the screen's native res. From what I gather, upscaling SD-content is a function of the player you use and it settings. If you're running Media Center, you have to configure the playback resolution, and picture quality really depends on you connecting to the HDTV via DVI.

As for upscaling on an nVidia card, most of the DX10 cards from both ATI and nVidia have the ability to accelerate 2D video. This is a function of the GPU design and drivers, and I don't think DX10 (Vista) is a requirement. You don't have to buy the top-end card to get this feature either, as the ATI 34xx series and nVidia 8400 series can do this for ~$45. I think ATI's cards are a better choice, as I believe the 34xx series accelerates more codecs than nVidia's cheapest cards.

A

athi

imo and if you have the room, the ideal solution for you would be a sony 36xs955. this is a 36" 4:3 format crt tv with the sony superfine pitch tube which also display a 33" 16:9 picture. this tv is getting pretty hard to find since sony stopped production a few years back. a used one can be find on craigslist or ebay for around $400 to $600. i have one and can't say enough about how good the pictures are both with hd and sd feed. you can also try to find other sony sfp tubed hdtv (xs955 or xbr360 series), but these would have much smaller 4:3 pictures.

another way is to get a big hdtv, which would show an acceptable 4:3 picture, and find a good upconverting player (oppo with the faroudja chip is supposed to be the best) to play your dvd. this should alleviate the problem which fixed pixel display have when playing a non-native resolution input.

you can also just keep your current tv for your old dvd and get a seperate hdtv for the xbox and newer movies.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but if you are planning to get a 360, then you can just stream your SD-content through the 360, it will probably upscale it for you.

krupted

krupted

what is he trying to do anyway? whats the problem? he wants an HDTV for his xbox, but still wants to watch his old dvd's on it too? there is no problem with that, upscaling dvd's look fantastic. if youre happy with how your dvd's look now on a regular trinitron tv, then you will be even happier with them on a high-def tv.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Problem is, I don't think it's DVD's that he's watching, but SD-rips of the DVDs. I imagine it works out the same if you can run the movies through the right program. He hasn't provided any input back since starting the thread, so it's hard to say just what he needs.

krupted

krupted

oh you mean dvd9 to dvd5? like i do?... :-/ its not ideal.. but its still going to look better on a high def tv, no matter what really. he probably doesnt like it on his computer monitor because that doesnt further-enhance like a hdtv does

G

Gradlock

From what I can gather from his post he has his movies converted to AVIs or ripped to his HDD to watch on his SD TV.
All I can suggest to him is to look for an HDTV that does some upscaling or has some quality enhacement features. Like ThreeOnATree said it would help if he posted back some more info.
I have no problem with the quality of SD movies on a good HDTV. Then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Associates