I'm Going To Ask A Stupid Question Here™

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
What exactly is a Duron, T-Bird and there are others names I've heard?

They are AMD processors right?

Well, how do they differ from the Athlon K7?

Can someone help me with this? I'm thinking of building my first Athlon Machine and this information will be useful to me.

Cheers and thank you.

------------------
It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
Yeah, they're AMD.

The T-Bird is an Athlon. Like a Coppermine is a PIII.

The Duron is like a Celeron.

M

mollov19

Athlon ( Calssic ) - 512k off die cache.
Athlon ( Tbird core ) - 256k ondie cache
Duron ( Celeron killer ) - 64k cache.

Tbird and Duron are the newest CPU's from AMD with ondie L2 cache!!!

K

Kroblanx

The T-bird may be an Athlon but its a new and faster version of it...The old Athlon was slower since it had its L2 cache off-die or at the CPU card so it runs at 1/2 CPU speed at most. The T-bird Athlon has it's L2 on-die so it now runs at the speed of the CPU...

The Duron is just like the T-bird although it has less on-die L2 cache (64K compared to the T-bird's 256K) but still enough to beat the Celeron 2 by a 100 Mhz margin...

D

daveg

K7 = code name for Amd seventh generated processor.

athlon (classic) = original athlon with 512K of half speed L2 cache and 128K on L1 cache

athlon (tbird or thunderbird) = the new athlon available mostly in socket version with on-die 256K of full speed 16way 64bit L2 cache and 128K of L1 cache. blue cores are copper and green core are alu. Or was it the other way round
...but who care's because they both overclock well

spitfire = code name for the duron

duron = same as thunderbird but with only 64K of L2 cache fullspeed 16way 64bit and 128K of L1 cache. Made only at austin so no copper versions available

Mustang = code name for Amd's answer to PIV (willamette). This cpu will for the first time use an enhanced version of the K7 core. It will also carry upto 1meg or maybe 1.5meg of fullspeed L2 cache. It might also use a 256bit bus like that of coppermines. (this cpu hasn't released yet so this info could be wrong).

corvette = mobile version of the K7, forgot the specs

sledgehammer = Amds answer to Itanium that can do both 64bit and 32bit. It will probably have loads of other fancy feature such as flat FPU, lightening data transfer ect

D

daveg

slow internet connection.... Took me 15min to connect after it cut me while I typing my reply

[This message has been edited by daveg (edited 08-17-2000).]

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
Does AMD follow every trend that Intel sets or are they usually first to come out with the technology?

M

MrBigglesworth

Anyone know how a Duron o/c to 1 gig would compare to my 750 classic w\ 2/5 speed L2 cache? i would like to upgrade to the socket A format anyways, but I want to make sure I will still be getting a decent jump in performance.

Thanks

------------------
Run! Run like a gerbil!
Athlon [email protected] GFD 1.65v w\crappy 4ns cache

R

RAMmyBUS

AMD and Intel are competitors. They each make their own technology. It used to be AMD just followed in Intel's wake, but with the release of the athlon, everything changed and Intel has some real competition for once. So whereas before (up to k6-3 i would say) intel set the trends, and AMD only tried to compete, now it is the competiion of the companies that is making the new trends.
-ram

R

RAMmyBUS

Yup, and AMDs are about 1/2 the price of Intel at the same clock speed.
oh god why did i say that, lol
-0ram

DoctorFoxx

DoctorFoxx

Hey Folks !!!

AMD is for me !!!

Lets not forget peoples:

The DURON has 64k of Level 1 cache & 128k of level 2 cache, for a total of 192k of full speed on-die cache !!!

The T-Bird has 128k of Level 1 cache & 256k of Level 2 cache, for a total of 384k of full speed on-die cache !!!

They differ from an ATHLON classic in that the cache is full speed and on-die !!!

They also differ in that they use SOCKET A, although the T-Bird is available in SLOT A form for a while yet.

Question Toolbox:
Do they not have these CPU's in the Philippines ?

------------------
"I cant drive...55 !!!"

V

VONSman

the archetecture of amd and intel are different, and intel doesn't have 3dnow instuctions. the main thing to remember is amd is less expensive. I do know that you shouldn't buy a classic athlon the tbird is much better and almost the same price

R

#Rotor

The Inventor
And then there's THE HAMMER.....Run Intel..... RUN....

------------------
Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK :D
My page is here now.(Sorry for the popup banner there)

V

VanDamage

MrBigglesworth,
A Duron @ 1000 mhz is about the same speed as an Athlon classic @850 mhz.
Duron @ 800 mhz is same class as Athlon 650 mhz, etc etc..
about 150 mhz better in performance is the Athlon.

A

Artboy

I think the overclocking can be a bit tricky; motherboards are expensive for that and a little hard to come by. So far only 3 mobos for multiplier overclocking even exist; Asus A7v, Abit KT-7 (has onboard ATA-100 RAID), and something called a QDI Kinetiz?

Anyway...They're dirt-cheap in comparison to the same mhz Intel offering (probably will be until after the IDF) but the problem is most of them are multiplier-locked. Supposedly it's easy to get around, but I'm not sure I trust everything I've read about them yet. A Duron 700 should get around 900mhz and pretty much eat a Celeron II for dinner. The Thunderbird is basically comparable to the PIII; though I don't know much about its overclockability. It seems to not hit as high an overclock as the Duron when I read about it.

Anyway...if overclocking was not part of the equation I wouldn't hesitate to buy one; they're too cheap to pass up right now. But knowing the people that hang around here, overclocking is part of what you buy a CPU for anyway. I don't know much about how well they OC.

Good luck!

R

#Rotor

The Inventor
Indeed, the motherboards are a bit on the expensive side, yes.... and there are only 2 or 3 out now that allows you to change multiplier, but that is 2 or 3 more than the number of slot one boards out there that lets you do that....
, I'm pretty sure the others will add that to there Mobo's too, else they will loose out on some sales....

------------------
Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK :D
My page is here now.(Sorry for the popup banner there)

N

Nuts4GTS

Very interesting thread:> ) I would love to get my hands on even a Duron. I still can't convince the wife that a second 'puter is necessary....

"It's not an obsession, dammit! It's a hobby!"

------------------
Apex MidTower w/250W P/S
120mm Case Fan X 2
Tyan Trinity 400, Rev. 4, BIOS 1.07
FC-PGA 500E @ 700(5 X 140 @ 1.7V)
MS 6905 Rev. 2 Master Slocket
Global Win FKP-32
Micron 128MB PC100 Cas2 SDRAM
Xentor32 TNT2U @169/185
PCI Slot Exhaust Fan
15.3GB DiamondMax Plus 40, ATA66, 7200rpm HDD