IDE Cables

G

ggalv

I believe for IDE cables there are two types. One with 40 pins and 40 wires and another with 40 pins and 80 wires.

I could find out which one I need for a particular motherboard by looking at the motherboard manual. But how do I know if a hard drive or CD/DVD Rom would need a 40 wire or 80 wire?

THANKS

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Lol, I like how you linked a purchase site for the cables Shinma. Most likely though most of you are like me, and have about 100 of these laying around, in a box, or filling up half of your storage drawer box (like me). :D

G

ggalv

How do I determine if a cable is a 40 pin (40 wires) or 40 pin (80 wires - ATA 66/100/133)?

THANKS

G

ggalv

Got it. The 80 conductor has many more wires and they are thinner than the 40 conductor.

I noticed that there are connector assignments and color coding for the 80 conductor. So does this mean that all 80 conductor cables have a blue connector? Would there be some 80 conductors out there that don't have a blue connector?

THANKS

Shinma

Shinma

ggalv said:
... Would there be some 80 conductors out there that don't have a blue connector? ...

Of course.
We are talking about companies out there that have quite the inventive marketing departments.

Shinma

Shinma

The CandyMan said:
Lol, I like how you linked a purchase site for the cables Shinma...
*shrug*
They usually have images and faqs that typically cover most purchase oriented customers/questions.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

Don't get the flat IDE cables..
1: They're ugly
2: They mess up airflow
3: They're a lot harder to handle

Get round ones that can make your computer look all cool, and don't screw up airflow..If you are to buy some that is.