*&$! IBM Server ads

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I've always defended the need to have adverts on HWC, but the latest flash IBM server one is just ridiculous. I don't know how it affects IE6, but it absolutely kills Firefox, I can't even scroll down the page as CPU just sits at 100% until the ad has finished its stupid scrolly flash stuff. Grrr. :mad:

[/RANT]

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
thanks JP. Do you have Adblock running maybe? Actually, I do too, but I haven't updated it for ages.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
No, I see ads but not THAT one, in FF. Do you have an extension loaded that lets it cloak as another browser? If you do, that might be the problem. I think they may have targeted that ad away from FF>

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well lemme know if you catch it again. If you can grab a screenie of it, that would be the most helpful. Thanks

krupted

krupted

ive had the same problem. so far it hasn't occurred with 2.0 beta, so you may want to try it. but otherwise, before 2.0 came out i just used adblock to get hwc useable again:rolleyes:

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
I don't think it'd help. I have HyperThreading here, but I can't even switch tabs while the ad is animating on screen.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I put the complaint in again. No one will see it until monday, but it's been made.

M

MrPutney

Junior Member...Oh, Boy!
yep, i've been having all kinds of slow down issues with it in IE as well. IBM would be impressed to know that they have designed a nice browser killa'. hehehe Grrrrrrr

ups4

ups4

I'm using IE 6 and don't have a problem with slowdowns or any issues with the ad at all.

Course, my firewall is blocking all animated ads, so maybe that's it? :p

Paul

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
Yup. But even worse -- it starts in the background (no waiting until you foreground its tab), and it never stops. This isn't just unpleasant; with multiple tabs it's unusable.

Edit: Okay, so it eventually stops.

kaulbach

kaulbach

Mostly Harmless
Interestingly I have 2 identical systems that I use on this page and the one with Adobe Flash Player has this prob but the one with the Macromedia Flash Player doesn't. This is with both using FF 1.5.0.5 or x.x.0.6

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, we're pretty sure it's a conflict with the newer players. Going back to the older version, 6 or 7 seems to cure it.

Associates