I wanna buy a 37" HDTV -got questions too

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Do I really need the 1080P version? I have read that you can't even get a broadcast to utilize all those pixels so some will get thrown away. I have Charter Cable TV service.

Also what is a good brand? I am looking at the Sharp LC37D64 or the LC 37SB24U

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
1080p is just future-guarding... sooo, if it's affordable get it, otherwise get 1080i for 1/2 the price and upgrade later

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Would it be better to have 720P instead of any "i" or interlacing? I have cable, do they even send that kind of transmission out?

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
1080i and 720P will be available on the same set...

on SD (standard definition) channels, these shows are gonna all look like crap (even if the tv is 1080p)... these HD TVs only produce good looking pictures if the shows/movies are shown in HD. so if ur expecting ur favorite episode of MASH, simpsons, The Price Is Right to look good you're gonna be hating life, until they're filmed and broadcast in the HD format.

DIGITAL channels does NOT mean HD (high definition)... if you want HD, then the program/station needs to state HD!! so careful with marketing terms.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
I was told that the Samsung and Sony are the more preferred models. Is that because of the name or do you think that they have better technology?

My cable company said that I can use my old box but I really should have it traded in for the HD Box that they have for $5.00 extra.

So the box that I have now will give me the full screen they said though but will not be HD. Will I see much of a difference?

I am more concerned with seeing a bigger screen because of my eyes?
Thanks for the reply btw :)

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
HUGH difference!!!! but ONLY on HD channels!!!

the HD channels are usually in the high range... my for example, on Verizon FiOS, are in the 500-699 range.

the other channels are SD (standard definition) channels... so they will look blurred/blockish

the big box stores, don't do anybody any favores by playing content ONLY in HD movies in their store... if they showed you a SD/regular broadcast show, you'd see that these HD TVs don't display such a nice picture as compared to the REGULAR TVs..... that is why when these HDTVs came out a few yrs ago, so MANY were returned, because people expected the picture at home to look as nice as it did at the store.

now your DVD player will show a nice picture, but your VHS player or VHC-C camera will look like crap!

krupted

krupted

im a little confused, doc. i wonder if the hdtv's youve been using have poor video rendering because SD signals should still look a bit better on a high def tv as opposed to an old crt.

what i think you mean is SD format is brought into a crt tv and displayed at one resolution, and one only. it doesnt get stretched, skewed or garbled.... but on an hdtv youre taking that small little video window and stretching it out and bledning in lots more pixels, which is why older hdtv's looked pretty bad with SD signals.

but, anymore most hdtv's have great video processing and they will upconvert SD signals into a sort of hybrid-hd result... nothing near as good as real hd but the picture is better then on a crt tv (especially the color).

the above can also be a reason to buy brand-name sets. usually, the ones like samsungs and lg's have much better video processing then off-brand stuff... not to mention the sets overall are usually more durable. there are good cheap brands though... vizio comes to mind....

Last edited:
ups4

ups4

Speaking of Vizio, I just bought a 22" for the bedroom and it looks great.

I even found 7 HD channels on the high end being broadcast without encryption, so I can get them HD without having the Comcast HD box. Sweet.:D

Overall the set is perfect for the bedroom setup. Picture is sharp, deep blacks, rich color. My only complaint would be the very basic remote that comes with it. Good buy for less than $300 though. I highly recommend it.

Paul

krupted

krupted

hell yeah its cool that finally, this year we now have 20"+ lcd tv's for $200. these arent just black friday deals either, expect this trend to continue at a torrent pace.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
krupted...

i still think the SD channels look much better on the old CRTs! i have a 3 HDTV sets: LG, Phillips and Hitachi. the pictures on SD channels, IMHO, don't look nearly as well as they did on my old 27" sony CRT....

when u look at HD programming most of the time, and then tune DOWN to SD programming.... HUGH differences in picture quality, which i'm certain nobody disagrees with.... but the SD channels are stretched out, pixelated and washed out.

i can't wait til most programming is done in HD format.... it would be real nice if the damm cable,satilite and fiber companies didn't charge EXTRA for the stupid HD box we need.

krupted

krupted

well, your wish is a good reason to not worry about the sd quality on lcd's anyway... it wont be that long before its all HD.

Associates