I/O CRC errors

N

Natisha

While trying to install "Half-Life Counter Strike" I get an I/O error message, and when I try to install "Battlefield 1942", I get a CRC error.

Could the problem be my video card? Other games work fine with it. My video card is a GeForce 4 Extasy

Thanks in advance,

Natisha

Justintime

Justintime

If from install discs, try cleaning the cds or looking for scratches, since other games work fine i assume your cd lens is clean.

scneill

scneill

Do you get the msg when you try to install CStrike from the downloaded file (the large ~100 MB file) or when you try to install Half Life from the CD?

Usually CRC errors are pretty bad (ie, file is completely useless), you need to download the file again if you got it off the 'net. If you get the error from a CD, it's probably scratched or dirty, which may or may not be fixable.

N

Natisha

Thanks for all the input.

I will write the error message down tonight.

Of note, it is being installed off of a CD. However, the CD works in other computers.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Natisha

the CRC error with BF1942 is more than likely caused by your CDROM struggling to read the CD because of the copy protection used on it.

I had the same problem with GTA VC - couldn't install it until I turned off DMA mode on my CD ROM drive.

If you don't know how to do this tell us what version of Windows you have and I'll point you in the right direction.

If you were installing HLCS from a CD it might help this too, if it was from a file then as already suggested you probably need to re-download it.

If turning off DMA doesn't help, try updating your CDROM's firmware.

Hope this helps :)

N

Natisha

Thanks!

Actually, I may have discovered my problem. The power supply I was using is only 100 w, and is inadequate for my new (had 1 week) motherboard. I upgraded the power supply and thus far, knock on wood, things are moving smoothly. I guess I should have thought about that, but I thought I would have had more problems than just a couple of faulty games......hm........

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
blimey, I'm surprised your PC could even run

a hamster in a wheel chucks out more than 100 watts :D

N

Natisha

Yes, that was alittle embarrasing to admit to :D

The problem was either due to that, or that there was some "bad memory". Either way, the problem is resolved now...yeah!!!!

thanks for all your help!