I got it! 500MHZ

T

Tim Lee

I have 400MHZ(Just got one today because I broke my previous one). I am running it at 500MHZ 2.8V stable. I am using alpha cooler with 60mm fan that came with it. My sisoft benchmark is 1311/610 for CPU and 1334/997 for multimedia. I feel better now because I have alpha running full time with fan sucking hot air out of it. I also have another fan on the side of the heatsink blowing air to heatsink. I don't know how long it will last at 2.8V but I am sure it will last long! I got this 400MHZ baby for $67 from www.neutronet.com It is an OEM version. My previous broken 400MHZ won't boot up at 2.8v...... maybe this chip is good..... like how some celery are good for oc......

Tim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tim Lee (edited 08-07-99).]

[This message has been edited by Tim Lee (edited 08-08-99).]

T

Tim Lee

After I posted above post, I've been running a little test of mine. I ran Starcraft with all the possible cheats: power overwhelming, operation cwal, black sheep wall, show me the money, something for nothing at MELEE without attacking any computer- 7 computers with tons of them attacked and I played defense. I have been running it for almost an hour and it never quit or nothing slowed down. I am extremely happy about it and I recommend Alpha heat sink and fan to everyone!

Tim

------------------

T

Tim Lee

In addition to Alpha, is PELTIER worth getting it? I've heard that there is a condensation problem with it. What kind of problems do you get? Let me know

Thanks

Tim

------------------

S

snakej_777

holy bat balls robin...2.8V!!!!!! holy shit
i ran 500 @2.2Vcore...1.90v with my peltier
i don't have an alpha cooler i made my own...
sisoft sandra says 1360/669 for cpu..

T

Tim Lee

Is it stable at 2.2V? I know that 2.6v is the limit for AMD II. At 2.8v it runs w/o any problem. My sucky Compaq mobo has settings for 2.2 2.3 2.8 2.9 so I have no choice other than sticking with 2.8V. I will try 2.3 now and see what happens. Cool that your work at 1.9v? Any problem using peltier?

Tim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tim Lee (edited 08-07-99).]

T

Tim Lee

I tried at 2.3v. Monitor is not even turned on! so I tried to gamble. I set the setting of voltage on compaq mobo and found a setting that works fine. THE PROBLEM IS THAT SISOFT benchmark score is lower than at 2.8V..... I got 1274/586 1287/962 for cpu/multi. Is this mean that the voltage is lower than 2.8v? Please let me know cuz I don't wanna fry it.

Thanks

Tim

------------------

T

Tim Lee

It seems to me that any voltage lower than 2.4v won't work...... I think I will leave it at 2.8v Is it really that high? Do you think I will damage the chip even with a good cooling system? Maybe I should get a peltier? What do you think?

Tim

------------------

R

rockinwy

I think there is some confusion here are you talking celeron 400 of k62 or 3 400, if its a k6 2.8 should be ok as long as you keep it cool, 2.8 on a celeron is asking for a meltdown.

T

Tim Lee

I am talking about AMD II 400. It runs stable at 500MHZ.... w/o peltier. I think I will leave it at 500MHZ 2.8v It only cost $65 these days......
Getting a peltier soon.

Tim

------------------

T

Tim Lee

I was able to ask Compaq tech and found the voltage setting for 2.6v It works perfectly at that setting. I feel much better at 2.6v than 2.8v.......

Tim

------------------

J

JGene

Maybe you got it burned in at 2.8V--then you were able to lower the voltage back to 2.6V and it was still stable. I've heard lots of people talking about "burning in" a chip at a certain clock speed in order to make it stable.

Contrary to the e-mails that I've sent you, given your success at 500MHz @ 2.8V I might try 2.7V or maybe 2.8V. Maybe I might even be able to make 523MHz since mine can post at 2.6V...

-JGene

T

Tim Lee

Maybe I should try 5*105MHZ = 525MHZ..... I will see if it runs stable at 2.6v I don't want to push it too hard tho.

Tim

------------------

A

Acrona

I have a amd k6-2 450 @550 2.8 volts. Runs great. Only problem I have experienced is that after about 15hours I have to restart cause it has a major heating problem. That is only a minor problem though.

T

Tim Lee

Acrona, what kind of cooling system do you have? I am planning to oc to 550MHZ using peltier. I don't think it will work tho.

------------------

J

JGene

Acrona probably disabled the chips' internal cache to get a speed that high. I've heard of a few people that were able to overclock to 550MHz by disabling the internal cache. You can get the same kind of results with a PIII-550->700MHz. But in doing so, you CPU takes a whopper of a performance hit since it has to use the external cache to get all the data it needs.

Anybody tried attaching a Peltier to an Alpha-heatsink/fan combo? I've heard you can cool your chip all the way down to 18C... Dunno what kinda goo one would use to attach the TEC to the Alpha though.

-JGene

I

iam4u2nv

To respond here, I have to say hats off to you. I have 366 celeron that runs at 566 and I am working on 616 soon. Need my alpha to finish that. But I also have a k6III 400 that wont even run at 448. It is a dung monkey. I even put an alpha kit on it and bought an atx case and board for better air. It just sucks. But it is still fast. Oh well some things clock through the ceiling and some do not. I roasted the hell out of a k62 350 running at 450 and 2.6 volts, fried... good luck.

------------------
I bought the latest computer; it came fully loaded. It was guaranteed for 90 days, but in 30 was outmoded!

R

Ronin

I have a OEM Celeron 400 running at 500MHz @ 2.1 volts. It works fine at 2.0 volts with an Alpha and Peltier but at bootup sometimes the hard drive is not reconized so I keep the voltage at 2.1. 3D games and windows is fine at 2.0 V.

Sisoft 1405/663 (NT4 SP5)

Peltiers work great as long as you can match the power of the peltier to the heat dissipation of the chip when overclocking.

T

Tim Lee

I installed Peltier finally today. BUT, I almost burned my finger trying to detec which side is hot/cold! It's damn hot! Also, I had a tough time sealing it from air using silicon sealant... it's got so messy. When I installed it, it gets a window protection error! What the hell.... w/o peltier it works fine again. What did I do wrong here? I noticed how HOT it gets on ALPHA heatsink. I think I better stick with alpha heatsink. It is still rock stable. I was thinking about oc'ing close to 525MHZ w/ peltier. I think I should keep it for future comp.

ps: surprisingly, CPU does not get hot at 500MHZ 2.6v even after hours of usage...? I guess alpha heatsink along with 2 60mm fans(one sucking one blowing from side) work well....
Tim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tim Lee (edited 08-14-99).]

Associates