How will my laptop handle?

dman777

dman777

I have a semi old laptop. It has a AMD Sempron 2800+ processor that runs at 1600 megahertz, or 1.6 gigahertz and it has 512 MB of ram. For VGA it has a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M. I want to make it a linux laptop. How would it handle the latest release of GNOME and Compiz-Fusion with all the cool plug in effects?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I don't have personal experience, but my suspicion is it should be okay. But whatever you install, I think you'd benefit from more ram. There are deals to be had now, new and used, even for the older DDR. And I think all of the distros will let you turn off the Compiz-Fusion. Since you're likely sharing ram for video, you could try it and re-enable after increasing ram.

dman777

dman777

Man, I don't know what to do....It would cost $200.00 to upgrade my laptop with a new battery, ram, wifi card, and ac cord. Or nice gateway that i want goes for $800.00. Do you think I should buy a new laptop or fix up my old one? So far, I will be using my laptop for mainly fancy cool Linux apps and web surfing.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Use craigslist for the ram. You can find deals on 512Mb sodimms, if you're patient and keep looking until the bargains come along.

Mini-PCI wireless cards are cheap. Intel G cards are in the $35Cdn range.

Batteries are expensive, so for older laptops I just plug in.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
This is what you need for wireless:

A mini-PCI wireless card.

Every notebook made in the last 5 years, or more, that I've seen has a slot on the bottom for one. USB or PCMCIA wireless adapters should only be used for ancient machines.

After half a dozen pages at Newegg I gave up and linked to NCIX.

Associates