How to watch DVD on tv from dvd drive in computer?

S

Scarface

hi guys, i thought i should post this in this forum instead of 'general'

anyhow, a friend of mine is interested in watching dvd on his tv from his dvd drive in his computer. what does he need to accomplish this?? is this a diffucult task??
does he need a video card with tv-out, s-video & composite??? or is it just tv-out?? what connection does his tv need to have?? sorry for all the questions, but i've never done a set up like this before.

------------------
"The achievement of your goal is assured the moment you commit youself to it."

Stuff

Stuff

Well, of course TV displays and computer displays are different so you definately need a TV-out card of some type. If your computer isn't, say over 800mhz, you also need a hardware decoder card. These have TV-out built into them.
S-video and composite are different types of video output the TV-out card does. S-video is the ps/2 looking, and higher quality, connection. Composite, sometimes called RCA, is the round cable looking connection on TVs and VCRs. Usually yellow of the red, white, yellow combination.
Get get one of those cables and a way to output it and the sound to your TV, and thats about it.

What is your system like?
CPU, Video card, OS

------------------
Thunderbird [email protected] on Abit KT7A-Raid, 256mb PC133, 60gb IBM HD, AIW Radeon, Acoustic Edge 5.1, ActionTec Modem, on WinXP Pro.

S

Scarface

thanks for your help Stuff, and it's not for me but for my friend.

he has a PIII @750Mhz, Win ME, but a cheap ass video card, not sure what kind. but he'll upgrade to a GeForce 2 MX with tv-out.

any card in particular that you think it's pretty good???

------------------
"The achievement of your goal is assured the moment you commit youself to it."

S

sbcanada

If he gets an mx with tv out, it's gonna have an S-video out connector on it. So you will need an S-video cable to connect it to the TV. The TV needs to have S-video in, or he needs an S-video to RCA video cable... Some video cards come with them.

------------------
AOpen HQ45 w/300watts
Soltek 75KAV-X w/snd
AMD T-bird 1GHz(133x7.5)
128MB PC100 @ 133
GeForce 2 mx400 64MB AGP w/TVOUT
Delta 12x/40x DVD
56x CDROM (for sale)
Windows ME

C

curbylee

Hi guys
I'm realy glad I've registered here cause I'm new the tech stuff,but also need some help on this very topic.I've got a tv out connected to my pc,but are not sure how get hold of all the connectors and cables,is there anywhere I can look?

P11 450
win 98
512Mram
3 X HDD'S TOTAL 20Gig
acer 16X dvd
Hp 9300 series cdwriter
Creative sound 128

J

Jules_in_SD

Why doesn't he just buy a friggin' DVD player? Probably cost him about as much as the trouble he's going to go through trying to hook his computer up to his TV.

------------------
PIII 1000Mhz
Abit VH6 II MoBo
512MB PC133 SDRAM
Visiontek GeForce 3 TI500
Soundblaster Live!
30GB IBM 7200rpm IDE HDD
19" Monitor
Netgear 10/100 NIC
Plexwriter CDRW
24X CD-ROM
Win98SE

S

sbcanada

Originally posted by curbylee:
Hi guys
I'm realy glad I've registered here cause I'm new the tech stuff,but also need some help on this very topic.I've got a tv out connected to my pc,but are not sure how get hold of all the connectors and cables,is there anywhere I can look?
Go to a computer store where you live and ask them for the cable you need. If they don't have what you need, ask them where you can get it. Or, you can look for an online vendor...

------------------
AOpen HQ45 w/300watts
Soltek 75KAV-X w/snd
AMD T-bird 1GHz(133x7.5)
128MB PC100 @ 133
GeForce 2 mx400 64MB AGP w/TVOUT
Delta 12x/40x DVD
56x CDROM (for sale)
Windows ME

T

Tyrak

If you buy a DVD player witha decoder card, that pretty well solves all your problems. You can just bypass your video card and directly output to the tv. More than likely you will need a svideo to rca converter, but those are relatively cheap, and the decoder card should come with one that is specially designed for the cards special output.

prince

prince

Originally posted by Tyrak:
If you buy a DVD player witha decoder card, that pretty well solves all your problems. You can just bypass your video card and directly output to the tv. More than likely you will need a svideo to rca converter, but those are relatively cheap, and the decoder card should come with one that is specially designed for the cards special output.
I thought all DVD ROMS came already with a decoder card. Anyways.. I'm using a Creative Encore DXR3 and yes just like mentioned above it comes with all essential parts required to connect the output to a TV, u just bypass your vid card.

------------------
"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."

Physicist, Lord Kelvin, President, Royal Society, [ENGLAND] 1885.

S

sbcanada

Originally posted by prince:
I thought all DVD ROMS came already with a decoder card.
Wrong. Mine didn't, all it came with was the drive and DVD software. No matter, my video card has TV-Out so I don't need a decoder card.

------------------
Icebox 3000™
AOpen HQ45 w/300watts
Soltek 75KAV-X w/snd
AMD T-bird 1GHz(133x7.5)
128MB PC100 @ 133
GF2 mx400 64MB AGP TVOUT
Delta 12x/40x DVD
56x CDROM (for sale)
WinME

[This message has been edited by sbcanada (edited 12-16-2001).]