How NOT to install a HS...

D

Diogenes

Just thought I'd share this goof..

Was replacing my 1.2 CelerT with my new P31.1t-s, and upon removing the HS, found the pattern you see below on the spreader..

As you can see, very little contact was being made between the HS and the spreader..

I had thought the temp was a little high, about 48, but nothing to really worry about, so it had been running like this for about a month..

I'm trying to figure out why it seated that way.. The spreader checks nice and flat, so it looks like the HS may have warped due to the pressure from the clip, and bowed a bit..

Circled area is where there was contact.

Any thoughts, other than: "DOH"?

------------------
"If it works it's not overclocked!"
My Stuff

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 05-08-2002).]

AMD Guy

AMD Guy

If I am looking at it correctly, it looks like the areas that you circled were the ONLY areas making contact, right? WOW - Be glad that you are not an AMD user or you would have known within 30 seconds that you heat sink was warped. (by the smoke pooring out of the Power Supply fan)

It is bad enough when the warp causes good contact in the middle. If you were to look at the side of that condition, at least you would have seen an 'air' gap at the sides.

This looks like it would have appeared to the eye to have been making good contact, unless you happened to look along the axis that had the gap in the middle!

Glad your CPU is ok.

Good photos and thanks for the information!

[This message has been edited by AMD Guy (edited 05-08-2002).]

D

Diogenes

Originally posted by AMD Guy:

Glad your CPU is ok.

Good photos and thanks for the information!

Would you believe, It was OC'd to 1.4 / 1.55v?

That's why I was amazed when I pulled the HS and saw that pattern..

------------------
My Stuff

B

Bsr

If that was me i'd be more concerned about the motherboard... But its still good thing its alright. It may have been making contact just not as much as the outer sides, there was probly some air packets that highered temp. of cpu... You are lucky it didnt fry board and cpu.

-Scott

K62

K62

Sailor
god bless ondie thermal sensors

do ya know how hot it was running?
(nm i missed that somehow)

------------------
I AM CANADIAN

Duron 900 @ 1100
1.75v (8x133)
Abit Kt7a
192 mb ram
ATI Radeon 32mb ddr
win2k sp2

[This message has been edited by K62 (edited 05-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by K62 (edited 05-09-2002).]

D

Diogenes

Originally posted by Bsr:
If that was me i'd be more concerned about the motherboard... But its still good thing its alright. It may have been making contact just not as much as the outer sides, there was probly some air packets that highered temp. of cpu... You are lucky it didnt fry board and cpu.

-Scott
Nope. No contact except in the area I circled. The pattern you see on the rest of the spreader is where I applied thermal grease. It hasn't been disturbed.

------------------
My Stuff

TaNG

TaNG

Thanks for that, now I m going to have to check my CPU

------------------
[email protected]
Asus P3V4X
Asus v7700Ti
512 PC-150 Kingmax
Quantum Fireball Plus AS
IBM 60GXP
AOpen 48x CD-Rom
LITEON LTR-40125S 40*12*48
SB AWE64
Realtek RTL8139 NIC

B

Bsr

hmm.. wonder how it ran so cool then (well cool for not haveing proper cooling) .. Maybe celeron just doesnt run that hot?? Does the heatsink appear to be bowed in or bent/damaged ??

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I don't know how much credit you can give to the thermal diode in this instance. He never had any issues where the cpu slowed, or that it shut itself down because it was too hot. My guess is the contact you had was just good enough to prevent the thermal protection from kicking in.

Either way, nice save. Welcome to the club of defective HSFs.

D

Diogenes

Originally posted by Bsr:
Let me guess, retail Heatsink ??

At the expense of looking even 'Stupider', it was a retail, for XP1800+..

I had used it with no problem on a P3 1g, but I think the pressure point from the clip was hitting the wrong spot. I haven't finished investigating for warpage..

------------------
My Stuff