How many members have Vehicle Tax and Inspections

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
I live In North Carolina and we have to get or Vehicles Inspected every year (Even New ones).

Paid my Yearly Taxes on my Truck that totalled $218.... :rolleyes:

I say Totalled because only $86 of it was for the Truck, the rest was Added on Taxes to pay for New Schools etc... :mad:

So I had to pay out $132 for things I don't need or really care about..... And this will be every year. :rolleyes:

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

We have tax annually on the value of the car (as it depreciates) in Georgia. Plus, if you live in a crowded metropolitan area like Atlanta, you have to get your vehicle to pass an emissions test-that is only about $25, though, unless repairs are needed.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
jimbo1763 said:
We have tax annually on the value of the car (as it depreciates) in Georgia. Plus, if you live in a crowded metropolitan area like Atlanta, you have to get your vehicle to pass an emissions test-that is only about $25, though, unless repairs are needed.
Yes that is the same thing we have here. :rolleyes:

The emissions test is part of the State Inspection every year and it is $35.

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Yup, we do - cost me £160 for the year last week. To be honest, it doesn't bother me too much. What bothers me is insurance - that cost me £1,600 for the year :mad:

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
CenturionStrategy said:
Yup, we do - cost me £160 for the year last week. To be honest, it doesn't bother me too much. What bothers me is insurance - that cost me £1,600 for the year :mad:

£1,600 for Insurance... :eek:

I pay about $800 a year for my Truck, full Coverage.

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
jankerson said:
£1,600 for Insurance... :eek:

I pay about $800 a year for my Truck, full Coverage.
Yeah it's annoying. They pretty much assume that if you're a male and under the age of 25, you'll crash. Admittedly now that I have my new car I probably will... :D

RecklessLeper

RecklessLeper

Yep, as Nick says, car insurance is a ***** over here :(

I'm paying £1165 for a fully comprehensive policy on my Seat Ibiza 1.4, which considering the area I live in, is pretty good! Hopefully it'll go down when I move in April :)

Car tax is a mere £110 a year for me, however once I steal Nick's car I'll have to get used to the increased costs :(

insanityfell

insanityfell

BNL ROCKS!!!
No annual tax, no state inspections and no emisions checks here!
Insurance is $1060 for the year, but not bad considering I'm 24 male and living in the city. I can't complain though

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
We have registration and compulsory third party insurance (insures you for injury to other people); it's based on car size and for my Camry that's AU$550 a year. If you want more insurance (third party property (insures other people's stuff) or comprehensive (insures your stuff too)) then that's extra, and starts to reflect age and driving record.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Yeah, we have "personal property tax" in Missouri, which you basically pay on Homes and Cars. It's a wierd depreciated thing with cars where the longer you own the vehicle, the less it's worth. I thing George Harrison sang it best:

"If five percent should seem to small, be thankful I don't take it all."

;)

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Here in BC, there's an annual registration fee, which you pay along with the compulsory insurance. For me, about $1600 -- $1800 per year for full coverage on a 20 year old car.
Urban area around Vancouver has an annual emissions test of about $25. $Cdn.

krupted

krupted

i would move if they made me take emmissions tests or charged vehicle tax. i pay about $78 a year to renew licesnse plates though.

its law to have insurance, but they want $1500 a year because of my age and driving record. thats liability only. so as you might guess im a rebel on the road for now. at least till im 25 and the damn premium drops.

Justintime

Justintime

All this emissions crap just because the oil dudes don't wanna spend the extra dosh to refine their fuels better.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Justintime said:
All this emissions crap just because the oil dudes don't wanna spend the extra dosh to refine their fuels better.
In Vancouver at least 50% of the air pollution is from freighters in the harbour. Emissions tests? They can't even get them registered in locations that aren't jokes, like Liberia or Panama, for basic safety or labour standards.
So they harass us, because we're easy. Large trucks that have very large engines and run all day long, not merely to and from work, are not tested.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Justintime said:

I am sure that there is a lot of truth to that.

It is interesting though that Commercial Trucks are not under the same guide lines for Emissions as Passenger cars are. Now I know there are more Passenger cars on the road than Trucks, but the Trucks do put emissions into the air too.

I mean if they are going to make the Ave person live by these guide lines then businesses should have to also.

Now I am not a Greenie by any means just in case anyone was wondering. ;) But I do care about my personal rights and the rights of others. If one group is held responsible then it should be the same across the board for all including Businesses.

SexyMF

SexyMF

Multiphasic
Vehicle tax (registration) is 6monthly or yearly. Inspections (warrent of fitness) is every 6 months. No registration no warrant.

1 years rego is about NZ$213
Warrents vary but about are around NZ$45
No emmisions test just yet, it's coming though.

Diesel vehicles pay additional tax as per kilometers used.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
In the UK the vehicle inspection is called the MoT (short for Ministry of Transport insepction). Only cars over 3 years old have to MoT'd , not that it's ever helped me as I've never had a car less than 4 years old.

Vehicle tax goes up every year, it's now about £192 (I think), if you have an engine between about 1.5 and 2.5 litres. Cars over 25 years old (or is it 30?) are exempt from this though. Again it's never helped me as I don't generally like old cars. :)

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
You haven't seen some of the old bombs people try to drive around NZ roads. :) Compulsory inspections aren't a bad idea at all IMO.

And Motorway Patrol is a cool TV show, even if only for the accents...

M

Martin_89

May every year mine needs MOT'd (because its over 3 years old) which means it has to also pass an emissions test.

£110 a year road tax and just under £2,000 a year for insurance if i go under my own name on it! £1,300 under my mums name with me on the insurance (if they take me off the insurance it costs just £150 a year for my mum and dad to insure it, insurance is such a rip off here) i pay more each year than what the cars worth!

Associates