How is this possible?

J

Jesse Thompson

I've done test after test, and established that my pII-400 runs at the same temp at 400, 412, and 448...(35°-38°).. no matter what I'm doing. How is this possible?

Jes

D

Diogenes

That's hardly the same temp... almost 11 degrees Farenheit...

When you ask 'how is this possible?'...

What were you expecting,and why?

You are showing an 8% increase in temperature for an 11% increase in frequency.. Does not sound way out of line..
I have not heard that the relationship between frequency and temp is linear in a CPU..
I would guess that it is not, based on your results..

I don't know if we have any physicists hanging out around here, but they could probably tell you more about how it works.

I know many, many people who OC'd the 300A to 450, say they did it with the stock, Intel heatsink/fan..So I do not think heat control was an issue in making this happen..

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 08-03-99).]

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 08-03-99).]

J

Jesse Thompson

When I said 35-38, that was a range that all of the setting seem to stay between. I.e. it'll be 37° @ 412 and 37° @ 448, and maybe 10 min later they would both be 36°. What i'm trying to say that it seems with this chip that changing frequency is not causing the change in temperature.

Maybe it should be noted that I haven't had to change the voltage at all from 400 to 448.

As a matter a fact, HWDOCTOR tells me that right now my chip is at 30.5° C! It's been on for 45 min! Stock heatsink/fan, desktop fan blowing into open case. Of course, it's only 8:15 AM and its a little chilly here

Jes

[This message has been edited by Jesse Thompson (edited 08-03-99).]

S

Splatt

Going up to 448 is only a 12% increase in performance. My PIII550 shows no real increase with the stock stuff at 112fsb either. However, I was on at 682 for a while and it got a little hotter...