How do I make scrambled eggs?

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I thought I would try and make scrambled eggs this morning (never tried before). So I looked up a recipe on the internet and followed it as best I could, but it came out more like an omlette really.

As you can probably tell, I am not the world's greatest cook :D

any tips?

Martin_89

Martin_89

Here we go ill try and explain lol...

Get a bowl, crack the eggs against the side of it and put all the "stuff" from them in the bowl and throw away the shells.

Get a fork and (this is hard to explain) mix it until it’s all the same colour (what’s the term for the way you mix it?!?)

Put it in a pan add milk so it’s just got a light orange look to it now.

Leave it cooking until all the excess juice has been soaked up, add salt and serve :D

that’s probably the worse ever guide but give it a go :)

rangeral

rangeral

Our Friend
You forgot after its in the pan and cooking once it starts to look like an omelet you start breaking it up by stirring or moving til it looks like all chunks.:)

Martin_89

Martin_89

ohh yeah always stir it so it doesn't stick, and add salt and put it on a buttered roll..... im hungry :D

krupted

krupted

scrambled eggs are like prison food, id rather have a mcgriddle:D

ahh im just still patronizing from posting to falcon in the other thread...

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
lol, I love 'em, just didn't know how to make 'em :)

I didn't have time today, forgot I had to go and collect my parents from Southampton airport this evening. I will give the recipe a whirl tomorrow though.

If it turns into a complete dogs dinner I will post a photo for your amusement :D

ups4

ups4

dannyboy,

I am an expert scrambled egg chef :D
Key things to remember:

Use water instead of milk. Milk is too heavy and the eggs won't get fluffy. Don't use a lot...for, say 6 eggs, use about 6 tablespoons (or just eyeball it). You could use half milk and half water too, for a little richer flavor.

Don't over mix the mixture. Beating the eggs and water too long will break down some kind of chemical reaction that is supposed to happen. Just beat em till they're kinda fluffy.

Add mixture to slightly buttered non-stick pan. Here I add some type of soft cheese like Velveeta. You can use any kind you like though.

Start out on medium heat and cook,stirring till it just starts coming together. Then raise the heat to high and just fold the egg mixture over itself till there's no more liquid.

Take them off the heat BEFORE they look completely done or else they will be over done by the time you plate them.

This procedure will give you a perfect plate of fluffy scrambled eggs.:D

Let us know how it works out for you.

Paul

Last edited:
dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I DID IT!!! :D

I had time to come home for lunch today, so thought it would be the perfect time to try it. I was still convinced it would come out like an omelette, but I see what you guys mean about stirring it - it just kind of cooks differently.

Anyway it was right tasty so thanks for all the tips & advice chaps. Maybe there's hope for me yet :cool:

Martin_89

Martin_89

that looks pretty good.

i make it every saturday morning when my mum is still in bed and im up early (how will i ever live on my own :eek: ) :D

W

wetling

See my Sig
Originally posted by Martin_89

Get a fork and (this is hard to explain) mix it until it’s all the same colour (what’s the term for the way you mix it?!?)

Put it in a pan add milk so it’s just got a light orange look to it now.

Leave it cooking until all the excess juice has been soaked up, add salt and serve :D [/I]
I use 2% milk in my eggs, but you need to add it before you start cooking. Also, as stated, use just about one tablespoon per egg.

I'd like to second the statement that you simply fold the egg over itself as it cooks and to remove the pan from the heat as soon as the liquid is all gone.

ups4

ups4

Congrats dannyboy.
Looks like you did a pretty good job.
I think you're well on your way to scrambled egg stardom :D .

Paul

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

:D I just got hungry, and dang its 4:00 AM here. I can't go raid the kitchen cause my parents will get mad. And LOL coming to hardwarecentral as a cooking guide :D

ups4

ups4

Eggs Benedict are not really for a novice cook ;)
The tricky part is poaching the eggs.
And the even trickier part is making the Hollandaise sauce correctly. It can be a lot of work to make from scratch.

I have found a pretty fair tasting already prepared brand that I use whenever I get the urge for this treat.

In a pinch, I have fooled several people with discerning taste by making "mock Hollandaise sauce".
Just take about 6 Tablespoons of Hellman's Mayo (MUST be Hellman's) add the juice of about 1/2 lemon and a drop or two of yellow food coloring. I actually got this idea from a chef.
It's not the real thing, but like I said it has fooled some people :D .

Paul