How do I go from Thunderbird to Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
over_the_hill

over_the_hill

After reading many glowing reviews, I moved my email from OE6.0 to Mozilla Thunderbird. However, after using it for a few months I've decided to move back. I just don't like it enough. I miss some of OE's features, such as telling me the message size and indicating whether or not the message has an attachment.

Anyway, I don't see any way to "export" back to OE? Does anyone know if & how this can be done? I really don't want my message archive to remain on Thunderbird.

:confused:

drzaius2

drzaius2

Help Computa
the mail files for thunderbird are found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random>.default\Mail

you'll need to turn on 'show hidden files and folders' to see the Application Data folder.

once you have those and you've set up an account in OE, you should be able to copy the mail files to the OE mail folder. which i believe is found in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Identities\<long random name>\something something.

i don't use OE so i'm not sure what's after <long random name>.

that should do it. that's how i always restored my mail to either thunderbird or OE. at least i think it did :confused:

Pipewrench

Pipewrench

Follower of Christ
Originally posted by over_the_hill
After reading many glowing reviews, I moved my email from OE6.0 to Mozilla Thunderbird. However, after using it for a few months I've decided to move back. I just don't like it enough. I miss some of OE's features, such as telling me the message size and indicating whether or not the message has an attachment.

Anyway, I don't see any way to "export" back to OE? Does anyone know if & how this can be done? I really don't want my message archive to remain on Thunderbird.

:confused:
I did the same thing a while back. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

After lots of searching I found something. It's a tool to convert the standard unix style mbox email format that Thunderbird uses back to .eml format that Outlook and Outlook express use.

I have attached a zip file with the program. It is a java applet so you'll have to make sure you have SUN Java 1.2 or higher installed.

It took a while for me to convert my messages back but I did it. I did like 50 at a time until I was done. I had like 1300 messages to move.

For some reason when you try to save this attachment it saves as a txt file. Just rename to .zip and then you can unzip it :)

Hope this helps :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Mohit Keshari

Mohit Keshari

Post removed by Site Admin....
This thread is FIFTEEN YEARS OLD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Associates