How can I stop Microsoft's update to W10?

My understanding is that it will come in the guise of an UPDATE from MSFT.

My understanding is ALSO that it will load the .exe and if you're not CAREFUL, it will load the W10 OS over my BRAND NEW install of W7.

My old and obsolete Microsoft Works program that I use and have made all my databases with will not work with W10.

I had a hard drive go bad with bad sector and had W7 reinstalled on the new drive.
If I'm going into too much detail, it's because I'm scared that Microsoft is going to render my use of the computer useless for so many things.

I know about Libre but files converted from Works to Libre can't be added to.

To the issue:

I found this:

Microsoft has released new updates to enable you to block upgrades to Windows 10 through Windows Update. These updates install a new Group Policy Setting. Computers that have this Group Policy Setting enabled will never detect, download, or install an upgrade to the latest version of Windows.

To obtain and install these updates, go to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

3065987 Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: July 2015
3065988 Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: July 2015
To configure this Group Policy Setting by using Group Policy, the following conditions apply:

The appropriate update must be installed.
You must use the updated WindowsUpdate.admx file by copying the file from the editing policy location.
Computer Configuration
To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:

Click Computer Configuration.
Click Policies.
Click Administrative Templates.
Click Windows Components.
Click Windows Update.
Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
Click Enable.
Policy path: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update Policy
Setting: Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update
Windows registry
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To block the upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

That sounds way above my pay grade.

I also found this:

But don't know how trustworthy that is.

I would sure appreciate whatever advice you guys can provide that might be helpful.

I used GWX Control Panel (the standalone version) without any problems.

There's also Never10 which is even simpler to use.

Edit: saw your link to the article which already mentions Never10, I can confirm it is safe to download.

Naked bungee jumper
Or simply turn off all updates until MS pulls their head out of their ***.

Or simply turn off all updates until MS pulls their head out of their ***.
That's what I've been doing ever since that DISASTROUS 2012 (or was it 2014) one that destroyed MS Word and wreaked more goddam havoc than I could imagine.

My new setting is "NEVER."

Damn Microsoft to hell! :mad:

Windows 10 will be a paid o/s by the end of next month. Your headaches are almost over. But, I've been running windows 10 on multiple devices since the July 29th 2015 release without any issue at all.

If I was you, I'd probably image my o/s partition, upgrade to windows 10 then, restore windows 7. This, just in case you change your mind, and you want to benefit from the free upgrade to windows 10.