How about Cambridge 4-point Surround ?

S

Seph

Hello

I'm shoping for speakers right now (with my 5 years old speakers dead), and since I got an SBLive, I was pondering about getting the recommended 4-point Surround system.

The only thing that slows me down in my decision process is that I already got a fairly descent subwoofer (Yamaha MSW10) which I think sounds pretty good. Should I go for 2 sets of good quality (suggestions) ,mess with independant volume controls, and try to plug everything togheter (er. how, may I add), or simply get rid of the sub and pay 40 bucks off my pockets to get the complete hassle free deal ? I've been looking for reviews everywhere and everyone seem to say it's fine, except at high volume.

Can anybody suggest other 4 speaker or 4 speaker + 1 sub kits ?

Thanks !

4ceFed

I bought a package consisting of SBLive and Cambridge PC Works speakers. Really happy with the SBLive, but I am dissapointed with the bass of the PC Works. Mid and Hi range are quite good though. The bass probably isnt as deep as what I would like, and if turned up past half volume, tends to distort.

I'm sorry I cant really recommend any other 4 point speakers, but I will say I regret buying the PC Works. I wished I had of done more research before buying my speakers. I would have gladly paid more for a better quality set of 4 points.

4ceFed

Y

Yvan

It looks like I've got the same problem as Seph. Does anyone know of any other 4 point + 1 sub surround sound speaker sets for PC's? The Personal Computer World review of the Soundblaster Live (Oct 98 I think - 4 out of 5) was very favourable until they tested the PC Works setup and suggested that if you could afford it, to upgrade but they didn;t say to what??? How frustrating is that? I'm due to order my new PC setup this week and it would be really helpful if someone's got any recommendations regarding this. Personally, I like the Yamaha stuff and I'd happily pay 90 pounds for a MSW10 25W and M20 but will they combine on a Live card? Anybody?

Y

Yiraf

I have heard many good things about PCWorks, but I'm really disappointed with the ways all of you are saying. Maybe they did not work as well. I'm now using a BOSE speakers for PC with built in sub, but they cause me about US$250.00 2 years ago. I think they should be cheap by now(if you wanna check it out). Otherwise I'd just recommend Altec Lansing (I forgot the model name), they are pretty good, too. I don't think this message will help anything much, but I'm just speaking my mind.

B

Black Ranger

A really nice speaker package that comes with a subwoofer is by Altec Lansing...

they have two models the ACS 48 which sounds really good with deep rich bass thanks to the wood box around the sub...

and the ADA 305.. which uses usb ports and is also in a wood box for the sub which sounds great... both of these are around 120-150us depending where you look...

try the www.altecmm.com website for more info

[This message has been edited by Black Ranger (edited 12-09-98).]

C

collinj

I just got a set of Altec Lansing ACS-45.1's with wood sub. I demo'd the cambridge pcworks at a local shop, they sound good, but only at lower volumes.

The altec lansing set is only 2+sub speakers, but are worth every penny I paid for them. I still have my old yamaha m7 speakers, and I will probably keep them and use them too if I get a card with 4spkr setup.

One thing to say about the ACS-45.1 speakers: They are AWESOME. Bass response is alot better than the cambridge sets. The new revision of these speakers has a 6 1/2 inch sub similar to the acs-48's. They sound excellent.

Worth the money to get a good set like this, and add a cheaper set of good quality speakers for the second stereo channel for the live.

Does anyone know if the mx200-300 or the pci 128 or sb live support bass/trebble controls in the volume control panel? I havent had to work on any of these yet, so I have been unable to really check over the drivers.
Also, do any of these cards support 3d stereo enhancement. This is a really cool feature of the AWE 64 card that, combined with the bass/trebble control, I dont want to give up.

[This message has been edited by collinj (edited 12-12-98).]

[This message has been edited by collinj (edited 12-12-98).]

Todd a

Todd a

I got the Creative Lab's PCI 128 sound card with the cambridge 4+base set-up about a month ago for $149 at Best Buy. They sound great and the base is pretty good but, I have a problem. The sound cuts out every now-and-then (usully when the volume is low) and I have to crank the volume up for a half a second. Any ideas?

X

XkALiBRe

Heres what i did. I had a set of Altec Lansing ACS300.1, which has an amazing sub, and i needed rear speakers for my SBLive. So i bought the Cambridge PCWorks. Basically, theyre half of the 4PointSurround, 2 little satellites and a sub (which sucks royal @ss). The PCWorks are great because the speakers are on 11 foot cables, which is absolitely WONDERFULL for rear speakers. So im using my old speakers and good sub for the front, and the PCWorks for the rear.

BTW, PCWorks retail for about 69 US, 99 CDN.

X

XkALiBRe

One other thing i should mention, when youre buying speakers, dont let that 400W rating confuse you. Ive seen 400W speakers that arent half as loud as my 18W ACS ones.

When you buy, look at the FREQUENCY RESPONSE. Human hearing is about 20Hz - 20kHz. My Altec Lansing speakers are rated at 35Hz - 20kHz, which means the treble sounds great, but it doesnt reach those very deepest of basses, at like 25Hz. Likely you wouldnt head that anyways, but you can feel it, and it adds to the sound.

Try and find speakers rated below 30Hz or so, itll make a huge difference.

C

collinj

Bad/cheap speaker manufacturers put the "PMPO" (peak music power output) rating on the box for their sets of speakers. Good/more expensive manufacturers put the actual handling of the speakers on the box. Mid range manufacturers tend to put the RMS on the box.

The computer I got came with a really cheap set (worth about 20 canadian) of zoltrix speakers that said 60W on the box. Yeah, like they will ever do that!

My Yamaha speakers I purchased a year ago say 5w per channel on the box... a realistic #.

My Altec Lansing acs 45.1' say: 6W/sattelite (12w total) and 20w for the sub. so 32W total power. This also is a realistic #, and well below the 60w rating of the zoltrix, but they TOTALY blew away the zoltrix peices of crap.

Stay away from any speaker manufacturer that puts the PMPO rating on the box, not the RMS or actual power handling.

Associates