Hockey -- World Juniors

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Canada beats the US by shootout, after coming back from a 4-2 deficit, and the tie lasted through overtime. Fabulous game by both teams -- hugely enjoyable to watch. Medal rounds are coming up on the weekend, so there could be a repeat.

Considering how difficult it is to get the NHL on tv down south, junior hockey might not make it? If so, it's a pity. This was great fun to watch no matter who you supported. I thought the US might have taken the shootout because their goalie, Jack Campbell, was so good in regulation play, better than the Canadian goalie.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
The rematch is coming!

The US team made the final by first beating Finland on Saturday, then Sweden 5-2 yesterday in what was considered an upset. Canada beat Switzerland 6-1, a result that doesn't reflect how well the Swiss played. They lost their two best defencemen to injury and had to play a quarterfinal game on Saturday, a surprising upset win over Russia. The game was closer than the score, with Canada leading by only 1-0 after the first period. I suspect their defence was tired with fewer bodies and less rest and it caught up with them later in the game.

Canada has lost its best defenceman after a Swiss player ran him into the boards from behind yesterday late in the game. He was important on the power play, penalty killing, and defence. The US team continued its impressive penalty killing, getting another short-handed goal against Sweden after stinging Canada for three.

Tomorrow's game should be awesome. Pity most of the US will neither see it nor hear about it. There's a bunch of US fans posting on TSN's website for lack of anywhere in the US to do it.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

As cold as it is here in the deep South right now, I feel like hockey is something I should know about.

Keep us posted.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Game's on in about 10 minutes as I type this. Should be a good one. I find this much more enjoyable to watch than NHL. Don't know if it's the stricter rules and not sure if they're playing on the larger international ice surface, which I much prefer. It leads to more skating and passing and less scrabbling along the boards. The series is being hosted in Canada again, in Saskatoon, and I think the large audiences it draws in Canada (and the money) is the reason. These players are only a year or three away from being the stars of the NHL, and a few already have a few NHL games. A number of the Europeans are actually playing for junior teams in Canada and the US. The star forward for the Swiss plays for the Portland Winter Hawks.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
as a Rangers fan who bleeds blue, I'm very excited about the Rangers prospects who excelled in that tournament. Most notably Derek Stepan, who I believe was the best player in the tournament.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
The Vancouver Canucks have drafted Jordan Schroeder who played on the US team. Small consolation.

As in the previous game, the US team had a 2 goal lead in the third period, and Jordan Eberle scored twice late in the period to tie it. But this final had a full 20 minute sudden death overtime and the US got it about 4 or 5 minutes in. Great game, both teams played well, but Canada does not get the record sixth championship in a row. Both teams pulled their starting goalie, the US in the second, Canada in the third.

JPnyc, you get the tournament next year, in Buffalo.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Buffalo, that's so far away from me it might as well still be in Vancouver LOL.

All of a sudden, after years of futility, the Rangers seem to have a whole crop of extremely promising youth, some of which is already arrived, and even more on the come. Maybe Sather finally decided to start taking Aricept, or maybe they found and fixed the gas leak in his office. Who knows…

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I only watch NHL during the playoffs. 80+ games is far too much.

International hockey is quite entertaining, but the Olympic hockey here in six weeks might as well be on the moon -- cost. I could spit on the venue on my way to work it's so close. That is if we weren't banned from the viaduct I usually use for "security" reasons. Smart folks are vacationing elsewhere during the Olympics.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of Canadian are you!? I'm a new yorker and I not only watch every single Rangers game, regular season plus playoffs, but perhaps another 30 or 40 local area team games (islanders, devils) along with whatever else is shown on vs. And NHL Network. I'm hooked.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I watch all the CFL games I can. Very entertaining football, bigger field, only 3 downs, 12 players. Not too many games, so they mean something, season over by late November. Most of the players are Americans, with a minimum number of Canadians mandated.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I used to watch the CFL games, back when they were shown on ESPN. That was quite a few years ago. I still watch the NFL but hockey takes center stage for me. It's also the only Olympic event I watch.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
It'll be the only Olympic event I watch. Be interesting to see how Brian Burke's choice of very young players works out for the US team. He said if he just chose the best twenty-whatever players, they'd lose to Canada or Russia.

Our Grey Cup game (CFL final) this year was awesome. Came down to the last play. Saskatchewan were called for too many players on a last play missed field goal for the win by Montreal. On the replay, Montreal didn't miss and won. Sask had put another player on the line to attempt to block because on last play no runback is necessary, but someone misunderstood and ran out for the runback. The game was played in Calgary and many Sask fans were there. From exhilaration to despair in seconds.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I still don't understand why he chose somebody like Chris Drury over some of the more talented Americans in the NHL. At this point in his career, Drury is at best a 3rd liner, and a 4th liner on a good team. They better hope they get fantastic goaltending...

It's been so long since I've seen a CFL game. I remember the team names I think, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Edmonton Eskimos?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Correct. The CFL used to have two teams named the Roughriders, Saskatchewan and Ottawa (Rough Riders). Ottawa folded, leaving the East short a team and moving Winnipeg to the East, but plans have been underway for several years on a new stadium for Ottawa and a return.

That NFL playoff game last week had the high score and last minute drama of a CFL game.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
the AHL All-Star game was finally televised here. Pretty good crop of young players.

Associates