help w/ networking windows 7 and xp

T

tmags2

I want to set up a home network. I want to use my desktop windows 7 professional computer as my main computer. I have a wireless HP printer attached to this windows desktop.

I want to be able to access the desktop files and printer from my laptop running xp home edition.

I already have netgear wireless router set up and working.

Can someone help me with this?

T

tmags2

I have already been to that link and had no luck. That's why I thought I would ask in this forum.

When I get to the part below in the My To Geek I don't see my xp machine.

Now if you go into Network in Windows 7 you should see your XP machine and the Windows 7 as well which in this case is Mysticgeek-PC.

I don't see my xp machine.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Are you sure you allowed LAN traffic? Try disabling the firewall and see if it works. Then you'll know if it's a FW configuration problem or not.

T

tmags2

Ok assume I'm a total idiot.

How do you allow LAN traffic?

I did dissable the ca firewall on both computers. How do you disable the windows firewall on the windows 7 computer?

T

tmags2

After some messing around, I'm able to access my files on each computer as long as the firewall is off. Couple of more questions.

1. Is there a way to set firewall on and still access files?
2. I can access files; however, they are read only.
3. If I create a new document I also can't save to the othe computer - I get the message: Access denied. Contact your administrator.

T

tmags2

Ok for now. I'm able to read, write and share from one computer; but not the other.
I still want to do this with my firewall on; however, I can't. I'll keep messing around today and let you all know how I do.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
1. Like I said, you need to add your local network IPs to the "allowed" section of your firewall. If you mean Windows Firewall, add an exception for File and Printer sharing.

2. and 3. are related. You would need to allow write access on the shared folder. When you shared the drive, it should have asked if you want to allow users to change files.

T

tmags2

Ok, I'm back. All of a sudden I can't access my shared files. I get the message "The network path was not found"

I checked the w7 computer and it is on with shared drive checked.

Midknyte - How do you add a local network IPs to the allowed secton of a firewall? I use ca and windows firewall.

T

tmags2

The ca support cite was helpfull; however, I now get the pop up box asking for a user name and password.

I know what my network pw is; however, I did not set a username. Unless it's called something else by default.

Last edited:
Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Like I said, I don't use CA firewall. I don't know many people that do. Maybe you should switch to something like Comodo or Online Armor instead.

T

tmags2

I deleted ca anti security suite from my w7 desktop and I still get the pop up box asking for a user name and password when I try to access from the xp laptop.

I did not set a username and pw on the w7 machine. Unless it's called something else by default. Any ideas?

I've followed all the above suggestions. How can I go into my w7 machine and get rid of any username and pw request for networking or at least reset it?

When I dissable windows firewall is when I get the request for this username and pw. If firewall is not dissabled, then I get the message incorrect path or file not accessable.

T

tmags2

I'm attaching a print screen of the password message I get. It looks like a windows live user name and pw request. I don't have anything set like that on my w7 computer. How can I get past this?

PS - I see the w7 computer from my xp laptop; however, I'm now not seeing my xp laptop from windows 7.

Windows 7 is the computer that has all the files and printer I want to access and share.

Attachments

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
So did you do the changes I suggested or not? Did you turn off password protection on Win7? Did you allow file and printer sharing in the Win7 FW settings?

T

tmags2

Yes, I'm allowing file and print sharing on the win7 fw settings. I believe I've turned off pw protection on win7. Just in case, can you explain how I would do this in case I missed it.

Associates