** HELP ** ABIT BX6 r2 and 366

I

ibwalkn

** HELP ** ABIT BX6 r2 and 366

ok, this is the problem...(a newbe question)
i have an ABIT BX6 r2 Celeron 366 ppga
128mb PC100 and a monster Heat sink/fan combo and it will go into windows 98 SE and run great but when i reboot, it says the "CPU is unworkable you need to go into Softmenu and change it" if i hit F1 and continue it sets it back to a 366...Whats up?

these are the settings i'm using!!
[email protected]
ext. clock (pci)= 83mhz (1/2)
multiplier factor = x5.5
SEL100/66# signal = high
apgclk/cpuclk = 2/3
L2 cache latency = default
speed errorhold = enabled
cpu power supply = user define
core volts = 2.20v

G

Goldenfrog

disable the speed error hold. that keeps it from booting if it is not set to the cpu default

J

jopey

It is ABIT's way of ensuring that you have the settings right for the CPU. Do what goldenfrog said and you will see it no longer. IF you keep upping the speed with it disableb and you cannot start it. you will have to reset the bios. Your motherboard manual will tell you how to do this.

------------------
WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

I

ibwalkn

Thanks, works like a champ!!

is there any other settings i may need to
change to get more speed, it doesn't seem to want to do [email protected] What else can i try
to see if it will really do it?

G

Goldenfrog

Will your comp post at 550? Meaning will it display the 550 speed then hang?

------------------
You did what to who's dog for how many jellybeans?

I

ibwalkn

YES...
[email protected] it post and goes into goes past the windows start-up screen then loads drivers and locks on black screen just before loading the desktop...i've got it all the way to the desk top before but it hangs!!

HELP PLEASE!!

J

jopey

heat is your enemy!!!!!!!111

------------------
WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

G

Goldenfrog

Try turning off your L2 cache. Like jopey said it is probably heat. Do you know what kind of HSF combo you have? Are you using thermal grease?

------------------

I

ibwalkn

i have a Global win FEP32 Monster socket 370
heatsink/fan combo, and i'm using thermal grease!!

the bois says the CPU temp is 40c/104f, is this to hot? OK disabled L2 cache, got a "windows protection error, you need to restart your computer"....i guess 550 is a
no-go!!!

G

Goldenfrog

Yeah sounds like you won't get it without better cooling go all out and build a watercooling rig.

------------------

I

ibwalkn

WOW...seems like a lot of work and money to get to 550+, i'll just hang at 450mhz awhile and pick up a PIII [email protected]+ for about $200 in a couple of months!! But really THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO POSTED!! It really help this newbe out