Heat...am I contradicting?

dman777

dman777

I bought a SSD drive to have less heat and noise. Less heat is important to me so my pc will be less noisy fan wise. Right now I have two sticks of ram that are 1.95 volts. If I go to 65 bits windows, I will need 4 gigs of ram for: 2 gigs for 64 bit windows, 1 gig for Windows XP emulation, the rest for software, paging file, and TMP TEMP directories. Would haveing 4 sticks of ram at 1.5 volts contradict my goal of having less heat?

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

According to this wattage calculator, a standard DDR3 stick uses around 3w while a DDR2 stick uses 4-5w.

If you use standard memory you should be fine heat-wise, as well as if you use performance memory (with heat spreaders) and use it at or below its rated specs. I built a system for a friend with 4 sticks of 2GB performance DDR3-1600 and the spreaders get warm, but not much to the point of heating a case or requiring direct cooling. Keep in mind that it's on a relatively well cooled case (Antec Nine Hundred with all fans on low).

You can easily get 2x2GB sticks if you want 4GB. 8GB is another matter, and you will likely need 4 sticks unless you go with 4GB sticks which are insanely expensive.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Currently I am running 4GB of performance memory in my system with just 2 fans, one in the front and one in the back with zero heat issues. I am also running [email protected] 24/7.

I think you will be fine. :)

Technoplume

Technoplume

Using a ram module below the rated spec will create more heat then using it at the normal spec. This is due to the propriety of the semiconductor. It is build to work at a rated voltage and current. Going outside the high and low spec will require more voltage making more heat.

Associates