HDMI cable for my HD TV

T

threeforks1

I recently acquired a Samsung 46 inch HD LCD 720p TV. I have it hooked up with the three component cables that the cable company provided. I bought a HDMI cable and when I tried to swap out the compenent cables with the HDMI cable, the volume control on the cable remote will not work. The cable company technical support could not help. Anyone have any ideas?

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Maybe a bad box or the remote is bad or incompatable.

You are talking about the Volume from the Cable box or the TV Volume?

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Or it is transmitting HDMI video only. HDMI can carry video and audio, but not every device that has an HDMI output also outputs the audio stream.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
wrathchild_67 said:
Or it is transmitting HDMI video only. HDMI can carry video and audio, but not every device that has an HDMI output also outputs the audio stream.

That's true. :)

T

threeforks1

I am talking about the volume of the TV using the cable remote. When I tried to adjust the volume, the slider bar went up and down, but the volume remained the same. I returned the HDMI cable and have bought a different brand. I should receive it later this week, and if the same problem continues, the HDMI cable can be eliminated as the problem.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
In that case it sounds like the HDMI cable is carrying audio but you can't get the TV volume above "line level"- the input level of the digital audio coming from the cable box. I can't think of any reason why that would happen, but maybe that is what is happening. Either that or you're adjusting the volume on the cable box and it has no effect since the digital audio output over HDMI going into the TV has a set level and you'll need to use your actual TV remote to adjust the volume.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
wrathchild_67 said:
but maybe that is what is happening. Either that or you're adjusting the volume on the cable box and it has no effect since the digital audio output over HDMI going into the TV has a set level and you'll need to use your actual TV remote to adjust the volume.
That sounds like the best reason why that would happen. :)

You could set the volume on the TV way up using the TV remote then adjust it with the Cable remote through the cable box or do what wrathchild_67 said and just use your TV remote.

T

threeforks1

I have eliminated the HDMI cable as the problem since I took back the first one and now own a different brand. I have the same problem. I am taking the cable box and remote back to the cable company tomorrow to swap them out. Hopefully that will solve this problem. There is no way that the millions of customers of this cable company who have a HD TV, deal with a TV remote to control the volume and a cable remote to do everything else. Frustrated in TX!

wonderinguy34

wonderinguy34

Restless Nocturne
Is it possible that you need a separate audio line .

but not every device that has an HDMI output also outputs the audio stream.
An audio line would allow you to control the audio from either control.

Last edited:
krupted

krupted

threeforks1 said:
There is no way that the millions of customers of this cable company who have a HD TV, deal with a TV remote to control the volume and a cable remote to do everything else. Frustrated in TX!
you would be surprised. most people have multiple remotes lying around, and they just deal with it. my suggestion is a logitech harmony remote, any flavor will do really. they are fantastic, and one remote WILL replace all the ones you have now.

T

threeforks1

krupted said:
you would be surprised. most people have multiple remotes lying around, and they just deal with it. my suggestion is a logitech harmony remote, any flavor will do really. they are fantastic, and one remote WILL replace all the ones you have now.
The two remotes won't be a problem and the difference in having the HDMI cable is worth it.

krupted, jankerson ,wrathchild_67, wonderinguy34 - Thanks for the replies.

T

threeforks1

krupted said:
I have added a Bose home theatre system to my HD TV so I now have multiple components. I took krupted's advice and got the logitech harmony remote. It is fantastic. One remote really does do it all!!!

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
threeforks1 said:
There is no way that the millions of customers of this cable company who have a HD TV, deal with a TV remote to control the volume and a cable remote to do everything else. Frustrated in TX!
that sounds pretty normal to me. I have one remote to change channel on the TV, another to choose my cable channel, and another to change the volume on the amplifier. That's before I even touch the DVD player or VCR :)

B

Bob Heaning

I recently acquired a Samsung 46 inch HD LCD 720p TV. I have it hooked up with the three component cables that the cable company provided. I bought a HDMI cable and when I tried to swap out the compenent cables with the HDMI cable, the volume control on the cable remote will not work. The cable company technical support could not help. Anyone have any ideas?
The same thing has happened to me not once, but on both of my New tv's when I swapped out the old box and am now using the new one from cablevision model # Explorer 4250 HD. I also called Cablevision and there telling me my TV must be incompatible! I have a 42 Panasonic Plasma and a LG 36 LCD for my bedroom. Two completely different TV's yet the same problem. The old boxes work, the new one's don't. What the FU*K!!!!!!

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Had a similar issue though I did have volume (audio) through the HDMI cable it would not go high enough (very low) so I ended up using RCA cables from the audio out on my cable box to my surround sound receiver which solved the problem.

Associates