Halflife2 Preload available

SexyMF

SexyMF

Multiphasic
For those who opted for Steam client HL2 download - it is ready for collection.

The game isn't released yet but the moment it is you will be verified (and the rest downloaded I presume).

I have no idea of an official release date - It would seem that it doesn't exist.

EDIT//

The preload is 1gig

SaulTurnedPaul

SaulTurnedPaul

Hiking Member
Originally posted by SexyMF
For those who opted for Steam client HL2 download - it is ready for collection.

The game isn't released yet but the moment it is you will be verified (and the rest downloaded I presume).

I have no idea of an official release date - It would seem that it doesn't exist.

EDIT//

The preload is 1gig
1 gig!? That'd take me a day to download. I guess they figure HL2 fans have become very patient in the past couple years. :D

SexyMF

SexyMF

Multiphasic
Add just under another gig for pre-load stage2

I'm doing this at 56K - its taking days. But who cares? I'm at work while it does its thing

SexyMF

SexyMF

Multiphasic
I'm done with the downloading:

base source shared materials.gcf 1.01GB
base source shared sounds.gcf 972MB

There are likely a couple more files which will come when the game is released. When it is released nobody knows - including Valve. On the whole the game release dates are really poorly adhered to.

Nobody else here has a coupon which they got with a videocard or computer purchase?

MuFu

MuFu

Originally posted by SexyMF
I'm done with the downloading:

base source shared materials.gcf 1.01GB
base source shared sounds.gcf 972MB
On 56k?! Holy crap man, good effort. :D

I've got about 70% so far. Steam must have a pretty hardcore server infrastructure behind it because there's barely any talk of bandwidth problems. I've been virtually maxed out the entire time (~60KB) and there's a lot of talk of people grabbing the entire thing at 2.5mb+. Impressive stuff, although obviously the demand is going to continue to escalate.

SexyMF

SexyMF

Multiphasic
Phase three of the preload is available.

I think it is to be around 500MB this time.

I'm very surprised that nobody (or very few) here seem to care that HL2 is nearly here. The moment it is released your copy will be unlocked and its all go.

Everybody is on about Doom3 but HL2 hasn't been mentioned here.

SaulTurnedPaul

SaulTurnedPaul

Hiking Member
I'll probably download it soon. I for one am excited for HL2. I was excited for Doom3, but still haven't bought it yet. I have other financial obligations, but I'm sure I'll be impressed with both games when I do get them. What exactly is the preload?

K62

K62

Sailor
ditto to STP.

I am excited to play hl2, much more excited than I was for doomIII.

I unfortunetly don't have the cupon for the preload :( What exactly is it? I would love to see some screenshots when you get into it.

I think the reason people are quiet about it now, is because no one believes it will ever be out. After all this waiting, if this game is a huge dud, I will be angry.

I think it will be another hit though ;)

MuFu

MuFu

http://www.steampowered.com/

The preload just involves downloading most of the game in encrypted form; the idea being that when it's released you can pay for an activation code, download a few more files (presumably) and start playing immediately.

There's nothing to see - it just sits there on your HDD, teasing you. :D

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

I am just about to get one coupon in mail

Is it still only single mode game, or have they changed their mind and we get full blown MP HL2 included