Half_life Problem!!!!!!

A

AsianBoy256

well eversinced i've gotten cable modem and i try to play Half-Life, TFC, or Counter-strike on the internet, it would take about 30 mins for it to log in. Plus the light stays on the whole time and i can hear the Computer Readin. When i finally get in, after i click on Internet games, then when i click update it would take another 30mins until and again the computer reads and the light stays on the whole time and i can't click anything. Then finally a small black screen appears and starts to count down the server. What the hell is going on!!!! Is it because of the cable Modem

My Comp:

800mhz Athlon
K7V mother board have latest drivers
3d Prophet 2 GTS 64MB have latest drivers
Sounterblaster LIve x-gamer have latest drivers
128MB Of RAm

Thanxs

rangeral

rangeral

Our Friend
i'm moving you to the gaming forum where you'll be better served.

regards,
rangeral

A

Acid Rain

I have cable modem too. But I have never played half life over teh net yet But the same typr of deal happend on other games 2. Maybe it is the cable modem.

------------------
Mess with the best
Die like the rest
--Hackers
-Acid Rain

S

sin2

Just make sure you're set to custom or Lan/DSL settings in the multiplayer screen.

30min? I wouldn't even wait that long to find out it takes 30 min.

G

g13

If you're using the latest patch I would guess that you are just updating the server and have no filters set so it's updating all of the HL/TFC/CS servers. This takes a long time whether you are on cable modem or not. It shouldn't take 30 minutes but it takes a hella long time, there are thousands of players and hundreds of servers. If you are not running the most current patch it could be a big pain and possibly the cause.

The first thing I would do would be to narrow down the filters. For example show only the servers with <200 ping, choose only servers playing a specific game, eg. TFC, etc. Once you narrow it down a little it should take much less time.

If that doesn't work the next thing I would look into would be a program that lists and refreshes servers. My favorite is Kali but there are many others like Gamespy and the free Pingtool. I never use the in-game interface to get into games anymore because Kali is so much faster.

zartan

zartan

Master Of Disguise
You definately have to set your filter up...if not you will get 1000's of IP's where you can play. And it doesn't surprise me that it would take a half hour!!

A

AsianBoy256

well, I do set my speed to DSL and i do filter it, It's just really weird because when the computer reads for 30mins the modem light doesn't flashes so it's not communicating with the internet.

Associates