Ok its out of the Xigmatek HDT-SD964 CPU Cooler
OR THE
Xigmatek Achilles S1284

Which one???

Cheers, Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Ok then well i still think theres more out there instead of rushing into the S1284
I had a look at this site and it seems very cheap also they look like better heatsinks.. Here:
http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=127_1_27

Just have a look and see what you can find for $74 less (incl P+H)

Cheers, Matt

oh and the Fan speed of the S1284 is only 1500 RPM...
The stock one at max in my bios is saying 4000 so i still think i need a better fan speed.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
You understand that a 120mm fan can push more air than a 80mm? The point of using a larger fan is to reduce the rpms, thus making it more silent.

I'll let other people chime at this point.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Lol fair enough didn't think of that.

Well can some1 please have a look at the site i just gave and have a look please and give me some feedback on what might be better then the S1284

Cheers, Matt

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Thanks for the "dong", Danceman. Hilarious irony when juxtaposed with my silence statement.

*sigh* The AC Freezer Extreme has a proprietary fan. Performance is close to that of the S1284C, but the fan would be a deal breaker for me.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/asus-lion-ac-freezer_7.html

I don't see anything on your coolpc.com link that would be any better. Many of them are older models that don't have AM2 brackets.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
when you say proprietary fan do you mean that it cannot be detected in the bios??
Because if the fan goes max speed im really happy for that as my front intake fan makes alot of noise.
And assembly isnt really problem for me as my time is worthless..lol
Oh and if i get the Xigmatek 1 i have to wait another month for stock where as with the AC i get by this following monday.

Soo??

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Proprietary means a non-standard or specialized part. You can't just get any old fan to replace it or get a better fan. If the fan breaks, you're looking at buying a whole new heatsink. That's why I don't recommend it. It's the same story with the Zalmans that I mentioned much earlier in this thread.

If you had ordered the heatsink when I told you, it might have gotten to you by now. :mad:

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Ok you are making really good points but the heatsink has 6 year warranty which will cover the the fan if it breaks, i contacted them and they said yes.

So i think i will go with that heatsink.

Cheers, Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Just confirm and say yes if you think this is the right thing to do please :)
tell the truth

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Are you asking someone else? I already said what I think. Maybe someone else will lend you their wisdom.

It doesn't matter to me if they are going to replace the fan under warranty. How long would your system be down while they send the replacement?

I hope you at least learned something about heatsinks after all this.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Ok i would have the stock if i ever need to go back to that stage...so im happy when i make this purchase as i am quite suprised it has 6 years warranty. Looks like a great cooler and i think it would be good to try..

I would like to thank you all mainly Midknyte as you have helped me alot on this topic, you have tought me some things about heatsinks i would never had learnt if i ever came to this forum about 6 months ago.

I will order it tommorow morning, once again thanks!

Cheers, Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Well THIS SUCKS i bought the heatsink got it today and found out that on the edge the fins are bent.... ive contacted them but im wondering should i just bend them back into place 2 sides are bent about 6 sides of fins on the right and about 4 on the left which are bent underneath each other... Its the Artic Cooling Freezer extreme...

Any ideas please!

Cheers, Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Yeh i think its just safe it i get the dealer to give me another one ill post in a week or so for when i get new one and tell you all how it goes.,.

Such a shame i was looking forward to this heatsink :"(.
They packaged it up in bubblewrap they couldnt of put it in a box..:mad:

Cheers, Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Just out of the topic while im waiting for my replacement heatsink to arrive. Would i notice a 400mhz overclock? from a 2.6 to 3.0ghz if it can sustain that?

Matt

Associates