Good Heatsink for a Phenom 9950BE??

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Well i cant really, because im going to the Computer Fair to check them out but what i will do to be accurate ill go their to browse and not get sucked in by a dealer and write all the ones that they have and ill post em on here and buy them next time they come to our location or i can just get it from their website.

Cheers, Matt

P.S oh ill be going to the computer fair tommorow so ill post then with them all but the Xigmatek Achilles S1284C is really in my mind.

Shinma

Shinma

Keep in mind, if you use a tower type heatsink,
Due to the orientation of your retaining mount/bracket,
The HSF will be blowing into the PSU intake.

The use of Scythe Ninja series is also out
Due to your mobo's close location of the memory slots to the retaining mount/bracket.
Unless you intend to insert the memory modules only in the red expansion slots.
Still a tight fit though.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
ok thanks for the info Shinma, ill just write down all of the heatsinks i see that look decent and ill shove em onto the forum here, and my Corsair supply does have a fan below it..

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Ok thanks Mid, Ill be specifically looking for the good brands. Space is ann issue and it isnt now when i say it isnt im saying i could take out the 200mm side fan which basically has no strong airflow. I do have a fan at the front of the comp which is a 120mm for the hard drive. Would it be safe to remove the side fan just in case if it is a bigger heatsink then i expected?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
I dunno if I would be willing to take off the 200mm intake. It's like taking from Peter to give to Paul. Remember that video cards and other components need to be cooled and the 200mm intake provides fresh air.

There are other 120mm heatsinks with a horizontal config, but then you need to worry about other clearances around the motherboard.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Sorry all who are replying, i just thought i posted last night when i realized i didn't 0.0.

Well anyway i went to the computer fair and out of the 50 stores only 1 was selling heatsinks and they were mostly second hand and the brand new ones which were from Asus or something which i'm not counting on to buy..lol

the only 1 i could find that looked good was the Xigmatek Achilles S1284C .

im thinking of just shutting up and buying that heat sink and hope to see some good results..

What are your personal thoughts on this heatsink for the phenom 9950 BE @ 3.0 to 3.2ghz?

cheers, Matt

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
I can't guarantee any OC speeds, but the 120mm heatsink should be able to take 200mhz OC.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
lol thanks for that, it helped...NOT

Is that heatsink any better then the stock heatsink that comes with the phenom 9950BE?

Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Well the way you said that it probably will be able to achieve a 200mhz OC sounded like that its like a stock..lol
I was hoping you would say its would most likely get a 3.0 - 3.2 ghz OC from 2.6ghz.

So i should just ditch all this and not bother, because a 200mhz Oc dont sound very good for paying $50 US.

Cheers, Matt

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
There are other factors to overclocking besides heat (Multiplier, Bus speed, voltage), so there is no way anyone can guarantee a speed.

You should get better speeds with the huge 120mm heatsink versus the stock one, but I'm not going to make any promises.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Ok so i should go with that Xigmatek Achilles S1284C and see how it goes, i reckon ill be happy with it compared to the stock (the heat pipes look like they go no where on the stock..lol)

Cheers, Matt

P.S before when i OC'D to 3.0ghz i just raised the Multiplier to 15x and it worked good except the heat.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Why are you bumping? I don't think you'll find anything much better in your price range.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
well the bump seemed to get your attention lol.

Well thanks for the help i might go ahead and buy it this weekend. Its kinda a tough decision..lol

Cheers, Matt

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Can't look at shopping sites from work. Even the 92mm Xigmas are better than the stock heatsink.

Associates