Good Heatsink for a Phenom 9950BE??

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Hey i want a good heatsink for the Phenom 9950BE, i am @ 2.6ghz and would like to achieve 3.0ghz, but the stock doesn't do it as it exceeds 60 degrees.
Any reccomendations?
Has to be Mid Range Price not too high.
Cheers, Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Hi thanks fore the info but, i am still stumped..lol

I'm willing to pay $60-80 Australian which is about $40 US.

i cant see ones that are good for an AM2+ CPU they just say AM2, which i presume is a different socket. please give me some Brands and models with them of what i should look for that 3.0 to 3.3 ghz overclock.

Cheers, Matt

edhe62

edhe62

Given your listed case dimensions you would be able to fit just about any current cooler. This One comes highly recommended by SPCR and looks like it will fit in your case (120mm x 50mm x 159mm). When checking for fit, remember to adjust for the motherboard thickness and stand-offs. It does only leave you an inch of clearance from the side so make sure it'll fit (no fans in the way, etc...)prior to purchase.

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Ok i was interested with the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 but now i read a bad review it just steers me away into a different direction.

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=Xigmatek HDT-S1283

not good for Phenom
Reviewed By: on 4/1/2009
Tech Level: high - Ownership: less than 1 day
This user purchased this item from Newegg
Pros: none
Cons: Not very efficient for Phenom 9850, Tempetaure is 55C always.

Loose and a bit noisy..

Any other suggestions..lol

*EDIT* Oh and i forgot to say; when i said i have a fan that is 25mm its on the side of the case so im guessing roughly the heatsink's maximum should be 150mm?

edhe62

edhe62

Sorry I missed that review, as it is very much on-point for your processor. While I'm out of specific suggestions, I still recommend checking SPCR's reviews. :)

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
I have had a good look at them Listings but I see some Bad comments when i type them personally into google..lol

Am i being too cautious or what?

Cheers, Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
Ok i was looking at this one, pretty impressed of price and level:

ThermalTake Blue Orb II

Review:

Pros: Used to cool Phenom II x3 720. Not sure the accuracy of the temperature reading but the Core Temp shows as low as 16 degrees Celsius during idle(the ambient temperature is about as high) and as high as 42 degrees Celsius during load(after an hour of Prime95). Cools extremely well.
Cons: The thermal paste provided is probably rubbish.
Other Thoughts: The LED is a pretty tacky touch. The case is fortunately not a see through case.
[REVIEW]

Ok is that review good enough or is the phenom II alot cooler than the ordinary phenom BE?

Also would there be enough space because when i looked at my motherboard there is something RIGHT next to the cpu.
IMAGE attatched of my mobo.

Sorry for all this people, i should take notice prior to just going anhead and buying this MOBO..lol (I should of listened to Shimna when you said not to.)

Cheers, Matt

Attachments

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Blue Orb II doesn't come with AM2 mounting, since it's OLD (like 2005). No heatpipes either. Rubbish.

Many of the newegg comments are rants from people that probably didn't know what the heck they were doing. Next to worthless. Do a search for several legitimate reviews, rather than rely on personal comments. That Xigmatech is about the biggest you're gonna find for that price. Here's another:

XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233023

OCZ heatsinks are made by Xigmatech, so you can compare prices and performance accordingly.

The Noctua NH-U9B is small and quiet. The mounting system is solid for s775 and AM2. The fan is ridiculously quiet, but the color is weird. You can also mount a second 92mm fan for push-pull
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608003

Scythes are good, but they don't come with fans. Factor that when you are pricing them out.

I don't like Zalmans since they use proprietary fans.

Shinma

Shinma

... Scythes are good, but they don't come with fans. Factor that when you are pricing them out...
? I think you got mixed up with the Thermalright brand. One of my preferred brands but no fans included :(
Scythe do include their own brand of fan.

I don't like Zalmans since they use proprietary fans.
Ditto.
Although possible to change fans, a real PITA.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
? I think you got mixed up with the Thermalright brand. One of my preferred brands.
Scythe do include their own brand of fan.
Now that I think about it... :p I probably was mixing them up. Thermalrights are awesome, but definitely out of the price range specified.

Last edited:
mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE Is really what im looking for but i will not be sure about the p[rices in australia since its $43 in Us im guessing it will be like $100 in Australia :"(......

Whats the US price im looking for for this XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE.

Cheers, Matt

mattaust

mattaust

Major Member
i think you all lost the point... I live in Australia not the U.S so i cant buy from Newegg. And $40 is about $60 over here.

I went on a live chat and they said they can get this: Xigmatek Achilles S1284 for: $74 includes p&h (AUSD) which is about $50 USD i guess.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Sorry I'm from the US, so I wouldn't know a reliable Australian source. $50US doesn't sound that bad, all things considered.

Maybe you should just post what heatsinks are available to you. Then we can tell you which one to get from that list.

Associates