Getting this error message in 3dmark 05

A

adam1v

I just upgraded to my Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU to go in my new Antec Case and im getting this trouble with my ATI 9800 Pro.
And yes i have got the latest drivers (i think)
Any ideas?

Adam

MuFu

MuFu

Have you got DX9.0c installed? What about the 3DM05 patch?

Did it only start happening after you switched PSU?

A

adam1v

nope, its done it from day one (and already had a re-install of windows).

Im 99% sure ive got DirectX 9.0c but not the 3d05 patch.
I will take them both home on cd later i guess

A

adam1v

i also currently only have 512mb DDR memory, but this evening im going to put another stick of 512 in there, so i should have 400MHz 184Pin 1024MB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2Gb/Sec

MuFu

MuFu

That might help - 512MB is the minimum requirement. You might also want to have a play with the AGP aperture size in your BIOS.

A

adam1v

what is that? i have never heard of that?
All i know is im 99% sure the AGP slot is set to 8x.

what is the Aperture, and what will it affect things?

Surely i should be getting out of memory errors out of a 9800 pro card? its made by Sapphire.

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

just check your BIOS

you will see settings like "<64MB",64MB,128MB,256MB

basically try 128MB and 256MB, I think thats what MuFu had in mind.

A

adam1v

good news guys!

This is what i have done:

Installed Direct X 9c (maybe reinstalled, cant remember if i previously had it)
Increased the Aperture to 256 in Bios
Applied the 3dmark05 patch
Increased my Monitor Frequency to 75Hz

And for the first time ever i managed to complete the Benchmark!
I got a score of 1381 which dont sound too high to me.

I also installed SIS Sandra, im not sure if anyone has used this before, but it gives you suggestions to increase performance, here were my tips:

Tip T2530 - The MP BIOS in this machine is not MPS 1.04 or later compatible. This specification contains many improvements and is recommended for MP systems.
Fix: Check BIOS settings and set to MPS 1.04 or higher; otherwise consider a BIOS upgrade if there is no later BIOS upgrade available.

AGP
Warning W2513 - The AGP bus is disabled.
Fix: If you have an AGP mainboard, you should get a AGP video adapter to take advantage of it. An AGP adapter would greatly improve 3D performance. However, it should still have at least 8-16MB of local memory.
Tip T2525 - Current AGP data rate not optimal, i.e. less than chipset’s maximum AGP data rate. E.g. current AGP data rate is 1x while the chipset and the AGP card both support 2x. You should get better performance with a higher data rate but this depends on the application.
Fix: First, use the PCI & AGP Information module to confirm that the AGP card also supports the maximum chipset data rate. If it does not, don’t worry about it. For non-Intel chipsets, make sure you install the latest version of their AGP mini-drivers. You should update the video card drivers as well. Some non-Intel chipsets can only work in 1x mode with some video cards.

Tip T212 - The BIOS can be shadowed. Shadowing is a technique of copying the BIOS program from slow EPROM or EEPROM to RAM. This may yield some increase in performance.
Fix: Go to BIOS set-up and make sure that System BIOS is both shadowed and cached.

A

adam1v

and as for the memory, the stick of 512 i had didnt want to mix with one of the 256 sticks, not sure why, i know it isnt the same brand, but its the same speed etc.
So i got 768 or what ever now.

E

evetsrim1

After installing Catalyst 4.9 I got the out of memory message as well. I rebooted the computer, made no changes and 3dmark05 finished the benchmark the next time I ran it.

I will change the bios agp size and see if that makes a difference in 3dm05's score, mine set at 64mb now w/ 128 mb video card.

E

evetsrim1

My AGP aperature size was 4mb, I changed it to 128mb. It made no difference in 3dmark05 scores nor 2004 scisoft sandra multimedia scores. I believe the aperature only comes into play if the graphic exceeds your video cards memory size.

Todd a

Todd a

I got that error the first time I ran it on my Radeon 9700Pro. I switched to the 4.11 beta drivers at the time and all was fine.

A

adam1v

of right. what score did you get?
i got 1381 in 3dmark05 and 10k in 3dmark01.

Have you got a link for the beta drivers? i tried looking for them but i couldnt find them :/

A

adam1v

That made a big difference Martin!
Where before in the first demo, i was only gettting 1fps in a few instances, i was now getting 5/6 fps.

My first score was 1381 and the new score was 2135, which is a vast improvement.

Thanks, and btw, if you can think of any other was of improving my Graphics card, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a XP 2600 (i think), would it be worth overclocking that slightly?

Adam

A

adam1v

how would i got about it?
I dont want to overclock it too much, i dont think i could afford to buy another CPU or GC right now :/

Martin_89

Martin_89

Well id start with your graphics card as this is the easyest job out of the two.

Download ATI Tool

then when its installed and running just push your memory up a little, memory makes a bigger difference than core. when you start to get artifacts in games with pushing the memory to high, drop it by 2mhz and then try a game and if they are still their then drop it another 2 mhz and so on.

then you can play about with your core giving it a little bump up.