Getting a 700 PIII w/ cBO Stepping

J

jasonps

I would like to buy a 700 PIII online, but virtually no one specifies if the processor is cBO stepping. What are the chances mine will be cBO? Is there any way of having a better chance of getting one (OEM, Retail, etc)?

S

SanduTje

Don't buy it online!

that's the best change that you can get a cB0-cpu...

if your buying online you must get lucky to have one.. so go to a computershop near you and ask for a OEM-version of the cpu..
these are without a box so you can easily see if it's cB0 or not..

good luck

Maxout

Maxout

CALL

And specify in your order that it must be cBo.

You can get the "S" codes here

[This message has been edited by Maxout (edited 07-26-2000).]

Dave_B

Dave_B

Overclocking Duffus
If you want a retail SL45Y PIII 700 cB0 FC-PGA CPU go here:

http://www.googlegear.com/

All they've carried for the last 2 months (that's when I got mine) are cB0 versions. If you E-mail them, they will confirm this within a day or so. And, it's only $208 for a retail version. Don't get ripped off but PC Nut or one of those other crappy vendors.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
I had a 700 with S-Code SL45Y. It went up to 980 MHz without a problem but it was always running too hot.

I'm still waiting for the Slot 1 and see if that runs any cooler. If it doesn't then I'm going back to the SL45Y.

Dave_B

Dave_B

Overclocking Duffus
Toolbox - Too hot? What heatsink/fan do you have? My PIII 700 is real cool at 970 MHz with an Alpha PEP66. I also run Rain 2.0 all the time and haven't been able to get the temp over 33C under load. With Rain 2.0 running, it stays around 22C when surfing or word processing. I only get it up to 32C or 33C running stuff like 3DMark2000, Q3, or UT. I can't see any reason why a slot 1 PIII 700 would run any cooler.

S

S_Klass

SECC 2 format PIIIs run slightly warmer actually.

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

flat-v8

flat-v8

I have a FDP-32 on my 600E @ 800 FC-PGA & I've never seen over 25*c loaded! & thats cA2 core and a whopping 1.8 v.

L

LaoChe

Well my slot 1 600e runs at 852 (cA2 stepping) with 1.75v and the idle temp is about 26C, but it does reach a SUPER HOT max of 34C.

S

S_Klass

flat-v8 25°C in texas? You mustbe running air conditioning in your room.

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.