Formatting Hard Drive

S

sfd

My hard drive is full of junk, too many downloads have corrupted my dll libraries and my computer is just running way to slow for a pentuim 200. therefore I want to format my hard drive and start over. I have already backed up all of the stuff I want to keep onto a zip drive, I'm just not sure what to do next. 'Format c:' - is it that easy? I want to be able to start it back up again and install things (like Win98) from a CD-rom. Has anyone done this? Any help would be much appreciated.

H

howdy

Hi, I may be able to help you with your problem.
are you using win95 or win98?
if you are using win98, there won't be a problem...just make a boot disk from win98

if you are using win95, then you'll need a cd rom driver disk to reinstall your cdrom drivers after formatting....this also require a boot disk

S

sfd

I'm running Win 95 right now. When I format I think I want to just re-install Win 95 and then upgrade to Win98, because I'm not sure if my version of Win 98 is an upgrade or a full install. (How do I tell this?) So I make a boot disk and copy my CD rom drivers and then I can type "format c:" that's all?

Thanks so much for your help!

S

sfd

I'm running win 95 right now, I think i just want to re-install it after the format and then upgrade to win98 (I'm not sure if my version of win 98 is just an upgrade or if it is the full install - how do I tell this?). So I just make a boot disk and copy my cd-rom drivers and then I can type "format c:", that's all?

Thanks for your help!

A

When you bought Win98,you bought either the upgrade version or the full verison. "Upgrade" will be printed on the CD for the upgrade version. Also, I beleive only the full version comes with aboot disk, though I may be mistaken.

I would NOT suggest that you install Win95, then upgrade to Win98. I have heard and had a lot of problems going that route. A clean Win98 install is best.

"Format c:" is not all. The correct command is "format c: /s" This will make the drive bootable. If you leave of the last part, the drive will still format, but the computer will not boot from it.

If you have the Win98 boot disk, just boot from it with CD-ROM support. Format the drive, and then run the setup off the CD-ROM. That should take care of you.

D

Doc

First, make sure that you have a boot disk. If not just go into Settings-Control Panel-Add Software and click the start up disk tab. Just follow the directions and then add the driver files for your CD-rom.

You can then then use the format commands as stated above but it may pay to do a low level format of the drive. Go to your HD manufacturers web site and see if they have a program to do this. If not then check filez.com for one.

Now that I think of it, head over to the Micron site and down load a boot disk from them. It will guide you through the process of reinstalling Windows 95 and have all of the files you need for the cd-rom too.

Good luck

H

Hi SoundZ

Here is my 2 cents on the win98 part of the discussion. Do not purchase the full version of win98 because you willl be wasting money, instead get the win98 upgrade. I recommend a "Clean Install" when installing win98. Since you own win95 all you need to do is format your drive ( format c: /s /u ) use the win98 upgrade cd, start the install, it will prompt you for your win95/3.1 cd, browse to the E:, and click ok. Win98 will scan the cd to see that you do own an older MS windows OS. I hope this helps

Associates