Finally, no shitty cd rom drive

R

RAMmyBUS

I finally went and got a kenwood 62x : ). A little impulsive spending but it feels good. My old cd rom drive worked, but when u put a new cd in it would eat up all the cpu power for a minute. Ill sell the thing on ebay, unless someone in here wants it for one dollar. Its a 40x generic, sandra gave it 19xs, drive index of 1842. 1 dollar.
-ram

------------------
R.A.M.m.y.B.U.S.: Robotic Artificial Mechanized Machine Yearning for Battle and Ultimate Sabotage

M

Marco [Annihilated]

Great decision. I got my Kenwood a few weeks ago, and while the price was much higher than any other CD-ROM, the difference is incredible.

No more spinup delay, no more aircraft-taking-off sound when you want a file.

S

S_Klass

Do they read CD-Rs and CD-RWs well?

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

R

#Rotor

The Inventor
is there LINUX drivers for that CDROM if so send it my way.... will take it from you

------------------
Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK :D
My page is here now.(Sorry for the popup banner there)

T

TNproud2b

I just bought a Kenwood 72x and I'm not impressed. It has difficulty reading CDRW or 'burned' CDs. It also does not even come close to 72X speed even using brand new retail CDs. I think I bought a faulty Kenwood CDROM. My generic 44X worked faster.
I hope this is a bad one, because if i spent $130 for no improvement then I'm pissed.

R

RAMmyBUS

I'm not sure bout those linux drivers. Its just the most god damn generic drive out there. ill check, but i doubt it. ONE DOLLA!!!

M

Marco [Annihilated]

My drive has no trouble at all reading gold or silver CDRs. And if you use blue or green... not our fault you won't pay for quality.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Please consider me for the CD-Rom...mine just died and I am very poor lately
I will pay $5 plus shipping...let me know...I am in a world of hurt!

------------------
Pull the wool over your own eyes! Slack and be free....study the wisdom of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs at www.subgenius.com/pam1/pamphlet.html

T

TNproud2b

yep, I have concluded that my Kenwood CDROM drive TrueXly sucks.

For the same $130, I could have bought four of those incredibly fast 'Mitsumi' 44X drives. Maybe I'll just swap the little tray doors around so the generic 'Mitsumi' will have that high quality Kenwood logo on it.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Silent & Cool.....
I just got a Philips 48x UDMA 33 CD ROM to replace the Creative 36 that was damaging, (the cheap), CDR's recently. I hadn't realised how much the Creative drive sucked until I got the Philips one.

Sandra gives the Philips 45x rating and 3120 drive index

USSVoyager

USSVoyager

Excuse the name
While we are comparing CD-Drives. I got a Pioneer 10xDVD 40xCD lately and it is good (which I expect for paying those high prices). The only problem I get is it sounds very loud when up to full speed - I have to turn up the volume on my PC to hear it comfortably again. I guess that is what you pay for speed...

USSVoyager

------------------
Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!

Maxout

Maxout

I'm running a Toshiba SD-M1302 8x/40x DVD-ROM very fast and quiet, hits 4139 @ 43x speed in sandra bench.

[This message has been edited by Maxout (edited 06-25-2000).]

R

RAMmyBUS

Actually I paid 100 bucks for speed and its one of the quietest drives on the market : ).

J

J1CS

Trying to Learn
I have a acer 36x cdrom and it seems like its dying also. Put in a cd and take longer to access the cd. I might be looking for a new one.

A

aug1516

Kenwood drives have always been terrible to me. I bought the 52x and it sucked bad. Then I got the plextor 40x scsi drive and WOW! This drive was so much nicer then my kenwood. What you guys need is SCSI!

600R

My 48x Aopen reads all disks and is super reliable. It's also cheap and has UDMA33. Sandra reads it at 29x I think.

------------------
See my homepage for free program downloads!

CLICK HERE!

Donovan

Donovan

J1CS, I had that Acer drive as well and it died the same way. Just started taking longer and longer to access a cd and then just quit all together eventually. I have 3 cd roms including a Plextor. I think I like my old mitsumi 32x the best though. Never a problem reading any cd.