Far Cry and Kevlar Underwear!

D

digitaldog

Still here!
Far Cry is a great game and if you haven't played you can still buy and try it, well worth it, great graphics, good AI and well thought out!

After I had played the game thru all the difficulty levels I decided to explore, in the missions that had sea and islands. I took my boat for a sunday afternoon ride out into the sea to explore the islands and surrounding areas. The sea was calm, the sun was shinning, what more could you want! Suddenly, from out of nowhere a wonderful helicopter gunship appeared with a charming gentleman standing behind a very big chaingun who decided he was going to kill me. Well, I wasn't having any of that so I loaded up the mission again got back in my boat and switched to cheat mode, God, all ammo, all weapons. Took the boat out towards what looked like a peaceful island, somewhere to soak up the rays and chill out, feel the breeze in my digital hair and once again the gunship appeared, now I ask you, what harm am I doing ? Just going out in my boat for a relaxing ride ? The gunner unloaded his chaingun at me and I, in return for his trouble, unloaded everything at him, thousands of rounds of different ammo including 400 rockets and still he and the gunship survived! That gunner must be wearing kevlar underwear! After I'd been killed 4800 times, according to the God mode counter, I decided to call it a day and edit the game.

Editing is complex and time consuming but possible, back up all files first and edit away. End result, loaded the mission, got in my boat, went for a ride and no gunship but...as I steered my way around an island there was the gunship, grounded but blades rotating and the gunner was standing outside having a quick smoke. When he saw me he was back in that gunship quicker than a ferret after a rabbit and trying to kill me again. I wasn't in God mode but fired back and he was still invunerable! Back to editing the game. Next time round, no gunship at all! Great, I mistakenly thought, driving my boat I decided to pull up on a beach and take a stroll on an island. Behind some trees I saw the gunner and he saw me, minus the gunship but now armed with a standard machine gun and you've gussed it, still invunerable! Back to editing once more and this time it worked. Beautiful scene, calm sea, sun shinning down, crystal clear water, good enough for a swim. Over the side of the boat I go, swam to an island and was just getting into 'tourist' mode and that helicopter gunship appeared complete with gunner. Dived into cover, got my M16 loaded up and fired at the gunner, next thing he dropped out of the gunship dead as a dodo and it flew off, I'd done it!!! Now I could explore, take some pictures, buy an icecream, on with the shades and chill out with my M16! I even went for a bit of a swim, diving down to the recks of crashed aircraft on the ocean floor, swimming through seaweed but sadly no fish in sight, pity, could have done with a digital snack but you can't have everything!.

DD:)

( I know this is sad but I had some time to kill and got fed up with being killed! )

D

digitaldog

Still here!
Trial and error! Go to where the game is installed, look for FCData folder, open it and look for Scripts.pak. Open this with WinRAR, look for Default, Entities, AI Gunship.lua Extract Gunship.lua to My Documents or wherever you want to extract it to. WinRAR will extract the whole Scripts folder in the process, keep WinRAR open but minimized. Once extracted open Scripts, Default, Entities, AI, and make a copy of the Gunship.lua file and keep it safe somewhere in case the editing goes belly up. Now right click on Gunship.lua uncheck Read Only, click Apply, OK. Now you can edit this file using Notepad. This part is very much trial and error I'm afraid. You need to look for bIsKiller = , and change this to bIsKiller = nil, then look for GunnerParams and I set the following to 0; sightrange = 0 attackrange = 0 aggression = 0 accuracy = 0 Now look for; puppet.killer = and set this to either 0 or nil then look for puppet.Properties.bInvulnerable = and again try 0 or nil, it's a question of playing with these settings. I also removed the 'minigun' entry and the Gunner ended up on top of the heli, shot him and the heli flew off so you can try various things! If none of this works keep trying, it takes time! Once you finish doing the edit, click File and Save, remember to right click on the edited Gunship.lua file and re-check Read Only, apply, OK. What you do now is to go back to the Scripts folder you originally extracted and drag it into WinRAR which will offer to replace the original Scripts folder choose OK and you are done...for now. Start the game, Choose Fort as a test level and try taking the boat out into the sea, press F1 for third person view this will help you spot the heli if it comes, if it does and you die then its back to the editing I'm afraid! I'm using the 1.4 cumulative Far Cry patch. Good luck, you'll get there in the end!

DD :)

D

digitaldog

Still here!
Well I don't know what I've done now but instead of getting rid of the heli it now appears out of nowhere and although minus its gunner follows me everywhere, it even waits for me if I enter a building and is still there when I come out. Now we all make various kinds of friendships throughout our lives but this is ridiculous, surely there must be a companion with similar looks and interests for this heli? But to put it out of its lonely misery I thought it best to terminate it. Low and behold it is invunerable so I'm stuck with it but a bright ray of thought entered my digital mind, go into cheat mode, choose F4 and go into 'fly mode' or no clip and fly up into the heli, shoot the pilot and that's the end of it. Imagine my shock only to finally get into the heli, after ages spent chasing it around the scenery and finally trapping it in the sea where it could not avoid me, to find the pilot has been encrypted! Oh well, back to the editing, perhaps I can find a 'heli dating agency' somewhere in the script and match it up and be rid of it! What a digital life this is :rolleyes:;)

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Cool thread :D

I loved Far Cry too, remember having loads of fun with the 'god' and 'noclip' modes once I'd completed it. Like you say, it looked so gorgeous that it was fun just to hop in the boat and explore the islands (apart from that damn heli - must try your tweak if I ever get around to installing it again!).

Funnily enough I installed Crysis over the weekend for a nostalgia trip. I remember it struggling on the hardware I had when I first bought it, but it runs beautifully now on my current rig.

I think it's a pretty good testament to Crytek how stunning both of these games still look, when you consider that they're 7 and 4 years old, respectively.

I think Crysis 2 is due out in a week or so, but I just can't seem to get as excited about this one. Maybe it's because there don't seem to be any gorgeous tropical island settings this time :(

D

digitaldog

Still here!
I've never played Crysis, is it similar in gameplay to Far Cry ? I was thinking about getting Far Cry 2, I presume it is still set in the tropics in which case I'll need a good dose of sun screen to protect my digital skin and some 'heli' repellant although if possible I'll sort that little problem out before I play the game ;)
You can never be sure what a follow up to an original game will be like. Some second series games are about as much fun as standing on a concrete jetty in Christchurch, south coast of England, in your neck of the woods if I remember correctly or nearby anyway, and catching 102 wrass, buying two plastic dustbins to carry the things home in only to find that the cats wouldn't eat them and then putting out two plastic dustbins full of stinking fish for the dustmen to collect only to find that they've gone on strike for two weeks! That particular experience sums up my feeling when playing certain follow up games, putting it politely, I'm not always best pleased :)

Commandos 2 was a very good follow up to the original Commandos game. There's a great mod called Destination Paris that you can find using Google which adds a more interesting angle to the game but it's quite a tough mod to play and keeps you very much on your toes! Commandos 3 lost the plot somewhat and Commandos Counter Strike fell by the roadside and ended up in the gutter, buggy, glitchy and about as much fun as standing on a.....:D

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I've never played Crysis, is it similar in gameplay to Far Cry?
Oh man, you must play Crysis if you haven't already. As an overall game I'll admit some of the later level design is a little dull, but the earlier jungle levels are superb.

What really sets it apart though is the engine, and 3 particular aspects of it:

1) Graphics - they still look stunning now, especially the lighting, vegetation and water. Take a look at this video to get an idea. (best viewed in 720p).

2) Destructible environments - well partly at least. You can break the palm trees into as many pieces as you want, and smash up corrugated huts :)

3) Physics - way more realistic than any other FPS I've played. This vid shows some amazing stuff you can do if you know how to use the map editor :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG5qDeWHNmk

To get the best out of Crysis though, you need 4gb of RAM and a fairly decent graphics card (9800GTX minimum, as a rough guide).

As for Far Cry 2, I did try it a couple of years back as it looked cracking. However, I tried and tried but just couldn't get into it. FC2 wasn't made by Crytek, and just didn't feel the same IMHO. Maybe it was just me though. :eek:

Lol, you sound like you were emotionally scarred by your pier-fishing experiences :D . Christchurch is a bit dull, tbh there's not much there except lots of old people. Poole and Bournemouth are nice though.

Not tried Commandos, is it in RTS-type thing?

D

digitaldog

Still here!
Crysis looks cool but my current PC will struggle to run it....perhaps that's enough of an excuse to build a new one ;) Are there any 'over friendly' helicopters in it ? :D

That's a shame about FC2, I wonder why Crytek didn't do the follow up still I might give it a go yet and if it appears flat I'll 'tweak' it a bit ;)

Yeah, Commandos 2 is a stratergy type game but very well designed and to scale so soldiers aren't bigger than tanks etc as they are in the C&C games and the AI is a tricky so and so, it actually thinks like a human and the enermy responds to foot prints left in the snow, sand etc and to noises and has human type sight so you can't just stroll up and slit a soldiers throat, you have to carefully plan your approach as you would in real life! Tough but well worth it, play(dot)com might have a copy or there's always good old eBay!

Poole, yeah nice place to live, used to ride my Kawasaki GPZ750 turbo in that area, back all those hundreds of years ago when you could open it up and do illegal speeds without worrying about CCTV, ANPR or cops with cameras bolted to the rads of their cars, those were the days ;)

Associates