Fan Issue on New Buld

J

jasonmatty1

I put together a new build a few weeks ago and am having some issues. The CPU fan seems to run all the time.

AMD Retail 7750 Processor w/ stock fan
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 AMD Motherboard
3GB DDR2 5300
AMD 3650 OC
300 Watt Power Supply

I orginially put in old case with old power supply. After having fan issue bought new case that came with new power supply. Same issue. Could Someone assist me with this?

E

ELF2000

If you CPU fan stopped running you would have over heating problems.

Is the new power supply 300W?

J

jasonmatty1

I probably worded it wrong. It runs full blast all the time and is extremely loud. BIOS reports fan is spinning 5700 RPMs and cpu is around 60 degrees celsius.

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
60C seems a bit high. If the CPU is that warm, the fan should spin on high. I suggest you check the CPU heat sink for proper fit. I am not familiar with current AMD processors and heat sinks. Intel quad stock fans are fairly quiet. I replaced a stock heatsink with a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 heat-pipe direct touch w/ aluminum alloys cooler for amd (socket 754/939/am2) & intel (socket 775) processors and this 120 mm fan makes some noise but it pushes a lot of air. The point I want to make is this came with plastic tape over the mating surface to protect it. I had to clean it quite well to get rid of the adhesive. Some Artic Silver thermal compound and all works well.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
60C is more like a load temp, than an idle temp. That's probably why the CPU fan is going nuts. As Leoslocks said, check that the heatsink is seated properly on top of the CPU.

J

jasonmatty1

i'll look at that. I have a local compusa around, what would you reccomend for a cpu fan?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
I would check your mounting bracket and heatsink before spending more money.

Dunno what Compusa has (don't have one around here no more), but the Xigmatechs are good. You gotta make sure the 120mm fans will fit in your case, though.

Shinma

Shinma

While you're checking the installation of the heatsink,
Remember to thoroughly clean off the old thermal compund and
Apply a new, thin layer of thermal compound.

... I have a local compusa around, what would you reccomend for a cpu fan?
If dead set on purchasing a new HSF,
CompUSA selections appear to be limited.
They have Noctua brand HSF but those are priced rather high.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
The Arctic Silver website is a good one for application instructions for thermal paste. Note that their recommendations are now different depending on the type of cpu: single, dual, with or without heatspreader. You spread a thin layer on Athlon XP's (no heatspreader) but apply a thin line (no spreading) on current Intel dualcores with heatspreaders.

Instructions here

Associates