Extreme overclocking benefits...

B

biglilsteve

I have a pretty nice overclock on my e8400 (stock @ 3.0GHz)...currently running at 4.05GHz stable idling @ 34C with Prime95 load @ 50C. I'm beginning to question the benefits of overclocking this much, though.

My first overclock was from 3.0 to 3.6 and that produced a large performance gain. 3DMark06 score soared from ~13,500 to ~15,500. Vista performance rating went from 5.6 to 5.8 (who cares, but still).

I then took it to 4.05GHz and I saw little to no overall performance increase. 3DMark06 increased around 300 points to ~15,800 and Vista performance rating did not change.

I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to benchmarking, but is there really any point in overclocking this high? Are there some areas that can actually benefit from a an overclock like this that I am unaware of?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
More importantly, what voltage did it use at 3.6G and what is it at now at 4.05G?

B

biglilsteve

More importantly, what voltage did it use at 3.6G and what is it at now at 4.05G?
Ummm...at 3.6 it was using 1.2ish vcore, and right now CPU-Z is reporting 1.320. That's with the BIOS set to auto for vcore.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
That's exactly why you benchmark in increments. Once you OC your cpu and hit a plateau, that means something else is the bottleneck. I'd suspect the video cards.

B

biglilsteve

That's exactly why you benchmark in increments. Once you OC your cpu and hit a plateau, that means something else is the bottleneck. I'd suspect the video cards.
That's exactly what I suspect as well.

B

biglilsteve

The bottleneck was the two 8800GTS's. Once I swapped them out for a GTX 280 and overclocked it a bit, my 3DMark06 jumped to ~17,500. Second 280 is arriving tomorrow; can't wait to see how that turns out!

E

ELF2000

Thank you! I've been seeing the phrase "[email protected]" floating around lately but I have no idea what it is! What exactly happens with that?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery. Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

If you choose to join our team, our team number is 34878.

Associates