Error message when attempting to update Windows 7 Professional

R

relztrah

When I attempt a manual update of a PC at work running Windows 7 Professional I get the following error message:

Win 7 update.JPG

I restart the computer and get the same message. Any ideas?

Sir Flannel

Sir Flannel

Resident Curmudgeon
This is at your work? Do you have administrator rights on that computer? If not, perhaps the IT department shut down the service for security reasons. If you DO have admin rights, you can go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services to see if the Windows Update Service is disabled or turned off.

R

relztrah

Hmmm. Windows Update Service looks normal. I don't know what delayed start means.

windows update.png

Sir Flannel

Sir Flannel

Resident Curmudgeon
Delayed start just means it doesn't start as soon as Windows boots up. It waits a minute or two before starting. And yours says "Starting", not "Started". How long was the computer running when you got that pic? It looks like the service is having trouble of some sort.

I found this link that might have some useful things to try. Since it is SUPPOSED to be starting, and at least TRYING to start, I approach the limit of what I can diagnose. Sorry I can't be more helpful

R

relztrah

Following the instructions on the link you provided is working. Thanks for the tip.

Associates