DVD upscaling?

Todd a

Todd a

I picked up a new DVD player on sale for $90. I got it for 3 reasons.... it supported DivX for all my... um back-up movies, it has an HDMI connector so I can run full digital to my 37" LCD, and it has upscalling to 1080i (which my TV runs). The thing is it requires an HDMI cable to for the upscaling feature to be availuable (but did not include the cable). The digital image seems to have improved the color a bit, but it is hard to tell if that and the other image quality boosts are just from the HDMI connection (instead of the componant video I was using) or if it is the upscaling algerithms that cleaned up the image.

Of course ditching the 25" 15 year old TV that died for the 37" LCD for Dell was a huge improvement, but over the last 3-4 years I have become VERY picky about sound and video quality. I had to resort to watching my movies on my 19" CTR and then my 24" LCD (again from Dell) as my TV was so bad.

I was tempted to pick up an HD-DVD player, but nobody rents the disks and out of the 20 movies that Best Buy had I was only really interested in about 3 of the movies (Doom being on of them). I do not like paying $30 for movies and with no rentals (or a way of... making back-ups) I would have been spending $500 for an up-scaling DVD player... I opted for the $90 one and will likely wait another year for the HD DVD.

I also have been tempted to switch to digital cable and add 18 HD channels, but really me and my kids watch mostly DVDs and I have been tempted to actually drop cable or downgrade to basic cable.

happyharry

happyharry

cant be doing with all this HD stuff at the moment
im happy with the wireless
*gets slippers and pipe*

Associates