DVD-R skips in my Dvd player

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
When I orginally viewed it on a different DVD player, it was fine. It has only been played that once. On my home unit which is a JVC unit it skips a lot. What's up? Even on my laptop is skips

krupted

krupted

wich is caused normally by bad media. try using verbatim or taiyo yuden only for recordable dvd's.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
We viewed it when it was done and it was fine. There are no scratches on it. It is a Fujifilm from Taiwain not Japan. On a Sanyo dvd machine it was fine. It is a DVD-R

krupted

krupted

fujifilm from taiwaan is prodisc f01 media. it is medium/low quality discs, i have some that still work, but barely. older dvd players have a hard time, and normally those types of cheaper media only work in pc's well.

F

freetomove

i dont wanna disagree but verbatim doesnt seem much better than all the others.... they alll ****.....dont tell me they cant make quality media, it is all crap.. havent tried tiyo yuden but everthing else really ****s..... ihave yet to find media that doest flake off if handled slightly.... and they scratch so easily, isnt it strange that they make some good sunglasses ooutta plastic and they dont scratch like this media.. for me its a major problem cause i have so much data... its a scam... justlike symantic puttin out mad virus' norton ****s, and if their were no more virus they would have a lot to lose.... sorry for the rant :mad: I wish pc magazine did a report on media these days, an honest one, or rate of failure for hard drives.... instead whe get to learn about smart cars....

If i wanted to read about a smart car id go buy a car magazine...

these magazines could change things and instead i see basicly the same crap ever month.....

vive la revolution :mad: :mad: :mad:

krupted

krupted

:confused: my discs dont get scratched, you gotta handle them right man, treat em like the old vynil records. youre not supposed to have anything touch the optical surface.

C

carpediem

freetomove said:
i dont wanna disagree but verbatim doesnt seem much better than all the others.... they alll ****.....dont tell me they cant make quality media, it is all crap.. havent tried tiyo yuden but everthing else really ****s..... ihave yet to find media that doest flake off if handled slightly.... and they scratch so easily, isnt it strange that they make some good sunglasses ooutta plastic and they dont scratch like this media.. for me its a major problem cause i have so much data...
what you're asking for can't be done without a significant increase in cost.. so if the data is really that important, dish out a few extra dollars per disc.

http://www.delkin.com/products/archivalgold/scratcharmor.html
you can get scratch resistant dvd-r's from there.. for $3.42-$3.80 per disc. if you're too cheap to pay that much, then don't complain.
its a scam... justlike symantic puttin out mad virus' norton ****s, and if their were no more virus they would have a lot to lose....
you have any evidence to support that theory? or is your argument that their business would crumble without virii (a trivial argument considering that is their business)?
sorry for the rant :mad: I wish pc magazine did a report on media these days, an honest one, or rate of failure for hard drives.... instead whe get to learn about smart cars....
who, other than you, is gonna bother reading a 5 page article on something that costs $0.30 per unit?

F

freetomove

Your response makes little sence to me....you have some inner knowledge about cdrs dvdrs? do you work for a company that produces them? Or did you read an article that "only i would read"....

let me clarify my post...... the media that degenerates the quickest is that which i listen to music on.... I dont treat them very carefully, but not real harsh either.... my data discs dont scratch and in fact have never delaminated lke the ones i use in my car...its probably involves the heat and Coefficent of expansion of the laminate versus the COE of the plactic.....

It just worrys me that i am seeing what would happen over a longer period of time, sped up by these situations.... i dont care if there 30 cents a piece once my data is on there , their priceless..... SO YES I DO BELIVE A BETTER CDR DVDR IS OUT THERE.....AND COULD BE MADE READILY AVAILABLE.

as for symantic what kind of proof do you want "secret tapes of R&D" I just think symantic is a crappy product that is touted as a great one....crap....
but no no "proof"

and lastly as far as pc magazine goes...you may want to see cars of the future ... but i would rather see it devoted to personal computers.... rate of falures for hard disc drives would be nice to see, as well as rates of failure for systems and components in general.... and yea it would be nice for them to test the media as it isnt worth 30 cents once i burn it.....

but thanks for coming out of lurk mode with a great positive post..... :confused:

C

carpediem

freetomove said:
Your response makes little sence to me....you have some inner knowledge about cdrs dvdrs? do you work for a company that produces them? Or did you read an article that "only i would read"....
if you consider ieee publications to be inner knowledge, then yea.
let me clarify my post...... the media that degenerates the quickest is that which i listen to music on.... I dont treat them very carefully, but not real harsh either.... my data discs dont scratch and in fact have never delaminated lke the ones i use in my car...its probably involves the heat and Coefficent of expansion of the laminate versus the COE of the plactic.....
variations between the coeff of expansions for the dye and plastic isn't an issue.. it's between the layers (edit: i meant it's amongst the layers that the variations are an issue).
there's also a chance that the heat dissipated by the stereo and it's internal amp is breaking down the adhesive.
It just worrys me that i am seeing what would happen over a longer period of time, sped up by these situations.... i dont care if there 30 cents a piece once my data is on there , their priceless..... SO YES I DO BELIVE A BETTER CDR DVDR IS OUT THERE.....AND COULD BE MADE READILY AVAILABLE.
read this http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf
as for symantic what kind of proof do you want "secret tapes of R&D" I just think symantic is a crappy product that is touted as a great one....crap....
but no no "proof"
i was arguing with 'symantec releases virii'.
and lastly as far as pc magazine goes...you may want to see cars of the future ... but i would rather see it devoted to personal computers.... rate of falures for hard disc drives would be nice to see, as well as rates of failure for systems and components in general.... and yea it would be nice for them to test the media as it isnt worth 30 cents once i burn it.....
failure rates is something you'd see more from the manufacturer than any independent party.. it would require >15 samples all running under the same workload. the time it'd require for them to fail would probably be on the order of years.. by the time the findings are published, the product line that was tested will likely not even be on the market any longer.
but thanks for coming out of lurk mode with a great positive post..... :confused:
sure.

Last edited:
jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
krupted said:
:confused: my discs dont get scratched, you gotta handle them right man, treat em like the old vynil records. youre not supposed to have anything touch the optical surface.

Yeah I haven't had any problems with mine either. :confused:

I buy good media and handle them correctly... What a concept. ;)

krupted

krupted

Tiayo Yuden is the best media period, its as close as you can get to the performance of a pressed dvd.

C

carpediem

krupted said:
wich is caused normally by bad media. try using verbatim or taiyo yuden only for recordable dvd's.
adding on... avoid verbatim if it doesn't say 'made in japan' on the packaging. otherwise you're likely getting cmc or ritek media, instead of taiyo yuden.

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
freetomove said:
instead whe get to learn about smart cars....

If i wanted to read about a smart car id go buy a car magazine...

these magazines could change things and instead i see basicly the same crap ever month.....

vive la revolution :mad: :mad: :mad:
You read PC Magazine too I see. ;)

I have a Phillips DVP642/37 which not only plays regular DVDs but also any divx/xvid/mpeg2/mpeg/dat file burned as data on the disc. As far as media, I've used everything from blank DVD-Rs to Memorex and Maxwell, plus Sony, Phillips, Verbatim, etc. and not one has played bad other than from user error (scratches, bad file to begin with, etc.).

My JVC plays them all as well, but only burned as a DVD (encode/convert).

Associates