DVD player & Logitech 5500 speakers

U

Urangotan

I want to connect a DVD player to my Logitech speakers. The DVD player has left & right audio out, optical out, and coaxial out. The speakers have LR front,LR rear, and center chanel ( these are used for a audio card). The other two audio inputs are optical, and coaxial. I connected the 2 coaxial inputs with a RCA cable, but i get no sound.
What is DTS? Is a RCA cable the same as a coaxial cable? Will a digital output produce Dolby surround?

Urang

krupted

krupted

the optical link is best, dts is digital surround sound. not only does the dvd player and your speakers (because thats the amp too) have to support it, the movie your watching has to have it too.

U

Urangotan

Will i get dolby surround sound with the optical cable? I'm having a hard time getting sound to the speakers. I don't understand what the digital input/output is used for.

Urang

krupted

krupted

yes, the optical link does anything. you might have to select optical out to 'on' from your dvd player.

AMD Guy

AMD Guy

What you did should have worked. Something is not turned on in the DVD player. Please specify the manufacturer and the model number of the DVD player. I had to go into the internal menue and 'turn on' the digital output in mine as it was not on by default. Contrary to popular demand a regular RCA cable can be used to pass the dolby digital (S/PDIF) signal from one component to another.

Associates