Dual core laptop?

benben

benben

Prodigious member
I'm looking for a dual core laptop...does anyone know if these are made?

benben

benben

Prodigious member
Nice!

I recently got the corporate arm to switch to AMD computers, servers and now I'm gunning for the laptop segment. Dual core would really help. I'm giving up my workstation to get a laptop but I don't have much time. I'm told to get the quotes/specs in ASAP. If you guys hear of something please let me know. I'd settle for a dual-core Yonah if it's available.

Thanks.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Yonah isn't out yet, but look for it towards the beginning of next year. It will likely be quite a bit cheaper that what's out there now. However, I'd also expect AMD to release some sort of Turion64 X2 in this time frame as well. They announced their intentions to release such a product ASAP, and I bet they're aiming for Yonah's launch date as well. In other words, your choices might get a lot better in 2-3 months. ;)

benben

benben

Prodigious member
Argh...I know. My boss can't wait another month even.

Is the Turion better than the Athlon 64? I don't care much about power because this'll be a desktop replacement/laptop.

Hoyle

Hoyle

If power isn't a big concern, then Turion is no better than A64. All Turion is is A64 tweaked for lower power operation. They perform exactly the same.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Yup. I only bring up Turion X2s because I'd imagine that when they arrive, they will be more widely available in notebooks versus today's X2. I've been looking around, and I noticed that some of these DTRs even have Athlon FXs in them! These are basically desktop machines in a small case. About the only thing dragging them down is the 2.5" hard drives. I guess an external firewire/USB2 drive could help with access speeds.

benben

benben

Prodigious member
Please tell me where I can find the fx CPUs in the laptops...that's the next best thing.

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

from the link TOTT posted:

"Up to AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with Dual Core or AMD Athlon 64 FX57 Processor"