doom3 running in win98se

R

royal

New Member
#1
couldnt get doom3 running in win98se,but have got it running in win98se really good now with an hex editor.
it also runs better in win 98,than it does in winxp,much smoother,and quicker,also the lighting is better.
but i do prefer playing the farcry game more.
i am playing with 1gig of memory in win98se,better than the 512mb i had.
what i would like to know is,is there any point in putting in 2 gig of memory in win98se,would it still work,as the 1gig of mem does?
thanks.
 
DJ_Keoki

DJ_Keoki

I am the Universe
#2
The lighting is better in Win98?? I don't know why it would be. As far as adding more RAM, 1gb is plenty for Doom.
 
D

Darkterritory3

New Member
#3
i might be wrong but i heard that windows98se doesn`t use more than 256mb. after that its useless. what i heard....
 
R

royal

New Member
#4
win98se

Originally posted by Darkterritory3
i might be wrong but i heard that windows98se doesn`t use more than 256mb. after that its useless. what i heard....
i wont be trying more than 1gig mem,as far as using more than 256mem in win98se.mine is okay.
i had 512mem,went into sys.ini,and added to extra lines there,and my comp is much faster.
didnt work with one line,but when i added the other line,it did work.
it even shows i have 1024 mem now.
 
benben

benben

Prodigious member
#5
It's 512MB actually, but you're right, Darkterritory3...1GB should cause problems. I can tell you this from experience. Also: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=253912

I'm dying to see these lines you have entered into your sys.ini file royal

Also, on what file did you use the hex editor?

Is this bogus?
 
R

royal

New Member
#6
win98se

Originally posted by benben
It's 512MB actually, but you're right, Darkterritory3...1GB should cause problems. I can tell you this from experience. Also: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=253912

I'm dying to see these lines you have entered into your sys.ini file royal

Also, on what file did you use the hex editor?

Is this bogus?
benben.what do you mean by is it bogus?im not in the habit of putting bogus files on the internet,and never will be.
as for the files i put in sys.ini. for over 512mb,and under 1gig mem
type under [386enh]
conservativeswapfileusage=1
in vcache make the maxfilecache
maxfilecache=512000.
you have to do the 2 lines,else i found it wouldnt work.
my comp is a lot faster loading files and games now.
you have to use the hex editor on the doom exe nocd from gw.as long as you have bought the game,which i have.
i had this advice how to do this off the internet,you have to change 2 numbers with the hex.
it does definately work,as i have been playing doom3 for a few nights now.
by the way,what windows have you on your comp?
 
equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Active Member
#7
Re: win98se

Originally posted by royal

type under [386enh]
conservativeswapfileusage=1
I second that tip, although I didn't had more than 512MB of RAM in my 98SE machine back then, it definately helps if you have at least 192MB. It simply makes use of the swap file only when there is no physical RAM available, instead of using it "in parallel" with the physical RAM. Probably one of the best tweaks of Win98 IMO.
 
benben

benben

Prodigious member
#8
I apologize royal, I thought you were B'sing. I commend you on your tweaks and being able to get your money's worth out of Windows 98.
 
R

royal

New Member
#10
win98se

Originally posted by benben
I apologize royal, I thought you were B'sing. I commend you on your tweaks and being able to get your money's worth out of Windows 98.
benben
no need to apologize,no problem,i was to quick,as you was only asking,so we will call it a draw.hehe!
just hope my answers helped.
 

Associates