Do these cool effectively?

A

afxdub

Do the the expansion slot blowers like the one below cool effectively?

I'm not sure how effective it would be in my system. Right now I ONLY have one free slot (vid card, DVD decoder, sound, NIC, modem). I do have an 8cm fan on the front of my case to bring cool air in, but I wonder if the slot blower will help cool my system.

E

eAzyMoney

only if its no where near any other cards. they, from my experience, cool the overall case but are bad right next to any heat sorce.

D

D|sElMiNk

There's been a lot of debate over the CFM ratings on those things. They are usually rated at about 40cm, but people reckon it's more like 4cfm, and I tend to agree. Those kinds of fans get rather noisy at high speed/throughput.

If you only have the psu exhausting air at the moment you might see a bit of an increase though. Have you measured the temperature on your videocard ?

------------------
Carpe noctem!

A

afxdub

No, I haven't measured the temp on my vid card. I have a V770 Ultra. Any suggestions on how I can do that? Thanks!

R

reeftank

I will give you $10.00 if you will take mine. Those things are the bigest joke since Bill Gates thought he invented C:\

------------------
"When in doubt, cut it out"

K

Kroblanx

Dunno about you but I have one right below my vidcard and it helped lower my vidcard temp by about 4C and the case temp by about 1.5C...The lower temps. of my vidcard helped me overclock it (the vidcard) a little further.

------------------
"Why can't we all just get along??"

C

CtK

you can add a Card Cooler XT and it wont take up any pci slots
it lowered my temps 5-10 degrees pretty nice!!
http://www.thecardcooler.com/shopcart/CardCoolers/CardCoolers.html

------------------
Asus CUSL2-C
P3-800eb
Mushkin 256 meg PC133
Leadtek GeForce2 GTS 32meg DDR
Sony 17" A200
SB Live X-Gamer 5.1
Cambridge DTT2200
40Gig IBM 7200rpm HDD
Pioneer DVD 16x/40x
Sony 10X cdr
MS Optical Mouse
& Internet KB
3COM ext 56K
WAITING FOR DSL!!

A

afxdub

One question about the card cooler. Would I need to install an extra exhaust fan if I used it? Right now I just have 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan (power supply). Yeah, I know I'm a lightweight. I would like to add an exhaust fan near my processor. That's my next project. But, will simply installing the card cooler help reduce the case temps?

R

Radek

I've been thinking about one of those. The problem is that they're too short, I'd like one of them to blow cold air directly onto my Graphics card cooler. Guess a homemade duct would be better to do that.
Don't know about the performance, the function mentioned was all I was after. Has anyone tried a duct or something like that?

C

CtK

nah the card cooler is pretty big
it covers most of my motherboard
its rite over my vid card and CPU

------------------
Asus CUSL2-C
P3-800eb
Mushkin 256 meg PC133
Leadtek GeForce2 GTS 32meg DDR
Sony 17" A200
SB Live X-Gamer 5.1
Cambridge DTT2200
40Gig IBM 7200rpm HDD
Pioneer DVD 16x/40x
Sony 10X cdr
MS Optical Mouse
& Internet KB
3COM ext 56K
WAITING FOR DSL!!

A

afxdub

Yeah, but I believe that there are 2 versions of the card cooler. One is monsterous and the other is a little more managable.

------------------
--------------------------
Abit KT7A
1 GHz TBird
256MB PC133
Viper V770 Ultra (i know, upgrade)
45GB Maxtor ATA100 at 7200RPM
10/100 NIC
HP CD-RW, Pioneer 10x/40x DVD
RealMagic Hollywood 3 DVD Decoder

C

CtK