Distributed computing team?

Which distributed computing project?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
glussier

glussier

Leo, keep going like this and you'll be aiming for a 650 to 700k month for October.

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Gilles, you were real close to 800K last month. Posting nearly 200K a week, I expect you to break the 800K mark this month.
Temperatures are cooling back down and the house is getting heated by the dual 260's. Still unable to upgrade my gaming machine so no new dedicated folding machine for a while.

glussier

glussier

Gilles, you were real close to 800K last month. Posting nearly 200K a week, I expect you to break the 800K mark this month.
I'm actually aiming for between 850 to 900k. If there are no folding problem this month, I might just do that.

I have the part for another rig, but didn't get around to build-it. I spent some time on your MSI motherboard, but don't seem to be able to get it to run stably.

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Perhaps the MSI board is bad. Sorry to trouble you with my junk. I do want to get one more dual card system up and running. I will use my gaming system part time to fold also.

<<<VENT Time>>> I was in best Buy trying to get clarification on a Q9550S processor they listed on their web page. At $229, I wanted two of them. They are really confused about offering product online. I called the 888 best buy customer service number and after carefully explaining the problem, they wanted to give me a local store number for the geek squad.
After sending them an email detailing the issue with links to the specific product, they send an automated response back referring me to the link I had just sent them along with the same 888 number I had already called.
I stopped by a store this morning and the Geek Squad guy did not even know they were selling Processors and Motherboards online. At least he was sharp enough to look it up and suspected it was improperly labeled.

glussier

glussier

I was in best Buy trying to get clarification on a Q9550S processor
Intel is selling a q9550s, this is a 65watts low voltage processor, as oppose to the 95watts rating of the regular processor. So, they are not selling the low voltage iteration of the q9550?

As for the MSI board, don't be sorry, you paid for the postage. I tried with a 45nm cpu, I might try later on with a dual core 65nm cpu. I will have to borrow one from the office before doing the move and purchasing one.

Last edited:
Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Best Buy is advertising the 65 watt thermal spec model but selling the 95 watt version.

Unintended I suspect but Bait and Switch just the same.

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Best Buy has yet to straighten this issue out or even respond to continued query's up their chain of personnel.

On the bright side, the rain seemed to have quit here in Memphis. Cold is on the way so I added a second card to the House machine. I had a devil of a time last night trying to get two miss matched cards to work. GTX 250 and GTX 260. 128 shaders on the 250 and 216 on the 260. This may put me right on your tail Gilles. Then again, you are kicking 30k per day out and increasing.
Getting the cards to work together involved using the experimental core 11 v1.31
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=113683#p113683
This will be the new main line core soon.

Stanford is adding new servers to help keep the work rolling. Quote form the news page: "The new servers each have 24 x 2TB drives, so we should have plenty of space."

Last edited:
glussier

glussier

Then again, you are kicking 30k per day out and increasing.
I didn't add any computer hardware, except that I replace my small dlink router and 8 port switch with a Cisco rv016 16 ports router. Now, I don't have any problem downloading workunits. The network was my real problem and hampering my fah production. In the next few weeks I'll be adding another computer q8400 with 2 gts250 which should up my fah production by another 14 or 15k points per day. Right now my production should stabilize at around 32k ppd, so you'll have a chance to temporarily have higher ppd than I do. ;)

BTW, I would like to be at 50k+ ppd before the end of the year, just to make sure that no other team pass by us before 2009 is over. Accoring to Extreme Overclock we are in 160th place, and it would be nice if we could be in 150th or better before the year is over.

Last edited:
E

ELF2000

BTW, I would like to be at 50k+ ppd before the end of the year, just to make sure that no other team pass by us before 2009 is over. Accoring to Extreme Overclock we are in 160th place, and it would be nice if we could be in 150th or better before the year is over.
We should get to 150th place or better before the year is over. According to Extreme Overclocking a team will overtake us in 1.9 months.

glussier

glussier

Yes, but 1.9months is before the end of the year. If possible, I want nobody to pass by us before the end of the year.

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Next month I hope to rebuild my Gaming machine and add the current rig to the farm. Still this may only net another 7K PPD.
We have pushed Dark Swarm back to two months. They are gaining 72K PPD. We will lower that mark and if they slip any, it will be next spring if they catch us.

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I didn't add any computer hardware, except that I replace my small dlink router and 8 port switch with a Cisco rv016 16 ports router.
I have been looking at a 16 port switch to add to my shed. I would like to have QoS on it fix a ping issue I have while gaming and for the ease of adding more folding units. That router is way more than I need but it sounds like a good one.

Best Buy finally straightened out their Q9550S ad to reflect that it is just a Q9550.

E

ELF2000

Yes, but 1.9months is before the end of the year. If possible, I want nobody to pass by us before the end of the year.
That's why I mentioned it. Dark Swarm is now gaining at 90k PPD and is 1.5 months away.
Yes it would be nice if nobody overtook us before the year is over.:)

glussier

glussier

I have been looking at a 16 port switch to add to my shed. I would like to have QoS on it fix a ping issue I have while gaming and for the ease of adding more folding units. That router is way more than I need but it sounds like a good one.

Best Buy finally straightened out their Q9550S ad to reflect that it is just a Q9550.
I wanted to solve the packet loss problem I had. It could have been solved with a cheaper router, but, I also wanted a router which will let me do load balancing.

glussier

glussier

That's why I mentioned it. Dark Swarm is now gaining at 90k PPD and is 1.5 months away.
Yes it would be nice if nobody overtook us before the year is over.:)
We are still doing an excellent job. When I restarted folding last Feb, we were in 500 and something position, we are now in 160th place. So, we went from page 5 to page 2 of EOF team overtake pages.

E

ELF2000

Yep we are doing a excellent job. With our current production we should just make page 1 of EOF.

Leo, is there something wrong with your "IMO_BobGridley" machine? It hasn't returned a WU for a whole day.

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Oops. I had some trouble after adding a miss matched card to the machine it is in. The resolution involved uninstalling [email protected], reinstalling the two cards and using a beta Core (soon to be mainstream) version 1.31. In the shuffle, I set the account up as Leoslocks.
I will correct that but the card is folding.

glussier

glussier

You are really moving along Leo.

In the meantime, I had a few problems with 1920 work units, not the notfreds but native window clients. I should switch all my smp clients to notfreds.

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I have been getting a lot of big classic work units lately.
2137 point 1751 getting about 900PPD
905 point 2498 getting over 400 PPD
4 classic clients would out produce an SMP client recently. Still, there is hope for the SMP clients when the threaded software get out. Just too many other options to avoid dealing with the 1920 point SMP WU

We are holding off Darkswarm too
hagawaga has stepped up his production
The GTX260 puts out some heat but it gets about 2K better than the GTS250. This and 24X7 for the house and gaming computers have boosted my output.

Associates