Distributed computing team?

Which distributed computing project?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Hi all,

We all have pretty highly spec'ed PCs, and some of us seem to have more than one! I was wondering if you guys would be willing to start up a HwC team? I'll list some projects to choose from. If anyone has any other ideas, I'll add them to the poll.

ClimatePrediction - Climateprediction.net is the largest experiment to try and produce a forecast of the climate in the 21st century. To do this, we need people around the world to give us time on their computers - time when they have their computers switched on, but are not using them to their full capacity.

[email protected] - What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

[email protected] - [email protected] is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

We have chosen [email protected]!

To join the team, you must do the following:

1. Go to the Folding at home website and download the [email protected] application*.
  2. Install the application.
  3. Enter your HwC alias as your user name (you don't need to register)
  4. In team number, type 34878 to join the HardwareCentral team.
  5. Then press enter to set the next few items to the defaults.
  6. You are now Folding!

*The text-only client is much quicker than the GUI client. I therefore recommend you use the text-only application! To download the Windows version, click here:

Text-only [email protected] app

To view our Team scores (and your own individual scores) click here:

Team HWC scores

Cheers,

Nick :)

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
I've added the poll now - It'll close in 5 days (unless we have a clear winner immediately!), then after that, we can start crunching!

Justintime

Justintime

I'd say climate, since its so shagged up lately :D But if folding wins no problemo as well.

O

ol' man

workin fingas to the bone
We used to have a seti team if I remember right. Even a forum for it too. What makes you think this one will last any longer? I am not giving up any time to help thoses loonies who are worried about the climate or alien signals. The folders have no idea what they are really doing. They are probably coming up with some new way to mutate the human race for all they know.

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
I did seti for a while, maybe from this board? I'm almost positive it was through a forum board that I signed up on, but few years ago, and I suffer from CRS nowadays. ;)

[email protected] sounds interesting as well.

Da_man

Da_man

Dementia Patient
how fast are computers crunching seti packets these days? the last time i read anything about seti.. we were talking about how much faster the EB version of the P3 was in seti due to the 133mhz fsb

USSVoyager

USSVoyager

Excuse the name
I'm up for climate prediction, but I'll have to see how my computer holds up to passive cooling first. I finally bought an Antec Phantom PSU and I'm gonna slap a ThermalTake Sonic Tower on my Athlon XP (I hope it stays at a reasonable temperature!). That's the entire system fanless. I'm gonna cut two holes in the top of the thing to let the convection currents do the work. Lets hope that's enough - wish me luck for tomorrow :)

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Cool, we do have a folding team which is ranked about 600ish (out of 42,000)!

We could resurrect that if you guys want?

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
CenturionStrategy said:
Cool, we do have a folding team which is ranked about 600ish (out of 42,000)!

We could resurrect that if you guys want?

What are we doing?

Associates