Disk or Network Error: Access 97

M

Miyatake

have a FrontEnd and Backend databse for multiple users. The FrontEnds reside on local hard drive while BackEnd is located in central network drive. An icon points to each individual FrontEnd on user desktop. Yesterday, all of a sudden, all users saw this message: Disk or Network Error. Has anyone seen this before and if so what caused it and how resolved?

R

RacerX66

I have this problem since I upgraded to Win2K Pro at work. It only happens when I attempt to open a database on the network in my own "home" drive. It resides in a folder I have there. If I take it out of that folder and open--no problem. Once I put it back--Disk or Network error! It's not a rihts issue as I have Admin rights to everything here at work. MS says to make sure that the Temp folder exists on the hard drive. It's there and all the variables are good. Some places say it's the client--that didn't work! If I do find anything, I'll definately post it.

M

Miyatake

more info. The user had the Access database minimized. Was working in Word. the minimized Access indicator started to flash blue. Her Word started crawling. She opened the Access DB up and got the Disk or Network Error.

M

Miyatake

Just found an article. Don't know if it will help me but might your Win2K. Check to see where your temp file is path'd in ENVIRONMENT tab in System/Control Panel. Then, go to that drive and see if the folder exists. If not, create the TEMP or TMP folder specified. You'll get Disk or Network Error message if this does not exist.

M

Miyatake

posted reply to Racer. disregard. I see by reviewing your reply that you already tried the fix. So, we're still back to square one.

R

RacerX66

I don't know if your using Novell client or not. I was able to replicate this on a 95 machine here and put the client version back to 3.2 and no problems. Unfortunately I'm stuck with 4.80 ZEN on Win2K. I'll keep diggin into it........

M

Miyatake

An update:

-I copied the databases to another location /drive on the server, still got DISK OR NETWORK ERROR
-I copied the database to another totally different server, it works fine there
-I have users who access the database thru a Citrix Server (different from the file server) remotely. None of them are having problems. So, the Backend database is probably doing fine. Those who are Citrix users have a FrontEnd on the Citrix Server. So, the FrontEnd on Citrix must also be fine.
It's only affecting users directly on the LAN/office and getting their FrontEnd database from the server. Note: both the Front and Backend databases reside on the same drive of the same server.
- Today, I noticed that we got another message when opening the database: Server Operation Failed. This message only came up once and that was when I was trying to copy the GOOD FILE over the BAD.
- The daily tape backup displayed multiple corrupt files for the first time in over a year
- Misc info that may point to the problem:
- I can copy ANY file within the drives of the server itself....drive to drive, folder to folder, etc.
- I can copy ANY file OUT of the server drives to another server or drive outside the server
- I CAN NOT copy ANY file INTO THE SERVER or any of its drives. (This seems odd)
- Event Viewer does not display any abnormalities.

I am totally baffled.

R

RacerX66

Well, you can go to MS website and search their "knowledge base" haha. I did a search on Access 97 for disk or network error and in my case Win 2K for disk or network error. You will get some results back. Check them out and maybe one will help you out. They haven't helped my case so far. I'm as baffled as you. Back to the drawing board..........

A

adsmadmin

I am not positive that this will work or help you in your instance, but I came across this by searching for "multiuser" in the Knowledge Base and I'm hoping it will help me open the database on our network. The article name is 'ACC: "Couldn't Open File" in Shared Environment Error Message.' Knowledge Base Article #Q103254

I hope this helps you out!

V

vincentm

Are you still getting the "Disk or network error" message?
I have 45 users on a multi-server network using Access 97 frontend databases on a Citrix metaframe 1.8 server runniing with Win2K Pro and Access 97 backend database on a fileserver also running Win2k Pro. The LAN non-Citrix users have a frontend Access 97 database on their local hard drives and have no Disk or network errors, whereas the Citrix users have many such errors constantly. I've ensured that the environment TMP and TEMP vars are set. I've run out of options. Microsoft is saying that it could the Jet 3.0 ODBC engine that could be causing the problem. I plan on updating Access 97 to 2000 to see if the Jet 3.5 version can solve the problem.

Any ideas ? I've pretty much given up !

Some opponents to Access databases are saying that Access has reached it's tolerable operating limits regarding users and record maximumx, but I beg to differ.

HELP !!

Originally posted by Pearl:
An update:

-I copied the databases to another location /drive on the server, still got DISK OR NETWORK ERROR
-I copied the database to another totally different server, it works fine there
-I have users who access the database thru a Citrix Server (different from the file server) remotely. None of them are having problems. So, the Backend database is probably doing fine. Those who are Citrix users have a FrontEnd on the Citrix Server. So, the FrontEnd on Citrix must also be fine.
It's only affecting users directly on the LAN/office and getting their FrontEnd database from the server. Note: both the Front and Backend databases reside on the same drive of the same server.
- Today, I noticed that we got another message when opening the database: Server Operation Failed. This message only came up once and that was when I was trying to copy the GOOD FILE over the BAD.
- The daily tape backup displayed multiple corrupt files for the first time in over a year
- Misc info that may point to the problem:
- I can copy ANY file within the drives of the server itself....drive to drive, folder to folder, etc.
- I can copy ANY file OUT of the server drives to another server or drive outside the server
- I CAN NOT copy ANY file INTO THE SERVER or any of its drives. (This seems odd)
- Event Viewer does not display any abnormalities.

I am totally baffled.

M

Miyatake

this is how I resolved with Citrix. Note I have TS4/Metaframe 1.8 with FR1/SP3. I created separate frontends on the Citrix Server (unique) to each citrix user and placed the Frontends in their Profile folder. Works like a charm. Hope this helps.

Associates