disadvantages of underclocking

G

giltheissen

I want to upgrade my cpu to an AMD K6-2 450 which is the maximum my board will take. As I look at the auctions, I sometimes see 500's going for the same price. If I can buy a 500 for the same price as a 450, can I simply underclock it and use it that way? Any difficulties or disadvantages in doing this?
Thanks -- Gil Theissen

D

D|sElMiNk

None at all
you probably won't miss those extra 50MHz, and if anything the chip will be more stable

C

CTho9305

the disadvantage is you didn't get that 50 MHz. as they both said, it will run cooler and more stable.

[forgot to include:
--------
Gore2000
--------
]

------------------
Impossible? Watch me.

[This message has been edited by CTho9305 (edited 10-25-2000).]

K

K6-III

Your best bet would then be to get a K6-III.

------------------
Gimme my TriLevel Cache

T

thugomatic

Is that the maximum your board SAYS it will take? Look at the documentation and see if you can get the multiplier any higher any way. My k6-2 mb said it could only handle up to 500mhz, but i got 550 running and stable.

------------------
10-4, thugomatic out
http://www.kevinhelms.com

G

giltheissen

Thanks for the replies. Interestingly enough, the documentation says it'll go up to 5.0 x 100MHz but when I asked my pc's tech support, they said it would only handle a 450. Never got clarification though and just assumed there was some wrinkle I was unaware of. Guess I'll find out one way or the other soon enough.
Gil Theissen

C

CTho9305

well, the CPU remaps the 2x multiplier to 6x on a k6-2+ (maybe k6-iii also) so it could work.

------------------
Impossible? Watch me.